Carolina Regional Chapter Chapter President: HT

Local Charlotte BAMA 93 Street Tune?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 10:46 AM
Barky Dog

Default Local Charlotte BAMA 93 Street Tune?

Hi All,

I'd really like to throw a Bama tune on my stock 2013 GT, but $399.99 for a Bama X4 just really isn't in the budget right now.

Is there a member in the local Charlotte area who would be willing to load a Bama tune on my car for me? Is that even possible to do?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated in helping me unlock the inner beast in this car.

Thanks!

Barky
Old 08-26-2016, 01:08 PM
ucinn
3rd Gear Member

It's not doable because each car has it's own parameters they program too, that's why they need your computer code. Also, it needs to save your stock tune.. don't know if it would overwrite their stock tune or just show an error because that tuner isn't married to your car.
Old 08-26-2016, 03:22 PM
Barky Dog

Bummer.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:36 PM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

You can always look for a used tuner. The "bama" X4 is nothing more than the SCT X4 with a Bama sticker on it.
If the used tuner is "married" to the previous car, you'll have to send it off to SCT to have it wiped ($150), but this can be a great bargaining chip if you can find one to buy from someone selling their car.
You can also look for an X3 or XCAL 3, just make sure the SN# starts with XP

I would also steer clear of Bama tunes, as they are very mediocre and very canned (one size fits all).
You'd get more out of the tune (and your car) if you went with a custom tune from places like Pro Dyno, or contact Hypermotive and get a tune thru them
Old 09-08-2016, 11:34 AM
Barky Dog

Thanks. Great info. I've seen a few "unmarried" used tuners on ebay. I've been reluctant to pull the trigger though, because I don't think the used ones would come with any tunes.

I've thought about going to Pro Dyno, but I really like the idea of trying out different tunes and testing and tweaking. And, the fact that I can flash back to stock at any time. I guess I'll eventually pony up the $400 for a SCT X4.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:44 AM
ucinn
3rd Gear Member

The used ones won't come with any tunes, you would still have to purchase those from Bama, Diablo, or whoever.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:09 PM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Barky Dog
Thanks. Great info. I've seen a few "unmarried" used tuners on ebay. I've been reluctant to pull the trigger though, because I don't think the used ones would come with any tunes.

I've thought about going to Pro Dyno, but I really like the idea of trying out different tunes and testing and tweaking. And, the fact that I can flash back to stock at any time. I guess I'll eventually pony up the $400 for a SCT X4.
Technically, New tuners don't come with tunes either. That is built into your initial price or "one with purchase" since the programmer writing the tune needs your specific ECU code. They will all save your "stock tune" or to be more precise, the ECU parameters at the time you initialize the device. As an example, I was running a Lund tune, making 413 rwhp. I had Pro Dyno custom tune it 2 years ago and they were able to push 429 rwhp out of it. That's a pretty noticeable difference between a "canned/safe" tune and someone having it on a dyno in 100 degree heat, squeezing every bit of HP out of it
The only real difference...and the biggest one IMO...is that canned tunes from places like Bama, cannot take into consideration environmental variables, temperatures, etc. You will always be better off with a custom tune or data logging with a tuner to get the car dialed in. The disadvantage to that is you will most likely be charged every time you upgrade something that requires a tune. Bama and others that write canned or baseline tunes usually offer "free for life" updates.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:35 AM
Barky Dog

Very good points, steel pony. Do you happen to know what Pro Dyno charges for a tune?
Old 09-10-2016, 07:33 PM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Barky Dog
Very good points, steel pony. Do you happen to know what Pro Dyno charges for a tune?
Last i knew it was $350.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:40 AM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Yeah and it's not a tweaking process as you may think. He will work with you on it don't get me wrong, but expect to pay for future mods and tune revisions afterwards. The best bang for your buck is to buy a tuner with mail order tunes, do your tune required mods (or x/h pipe, cold air, boss intake, long tubes etc) then get a dyno tune once you are done bolting on. Bama will revise your tune for your mods, allowing you to run the car safely in the mean time. Downside is its more expensive to buy a new tuner this way.

You can find a used tuner and buy into the tunes for life program for $150 iirc. Saves about $100 if you get the tuner for $150.

Quick Reply: Local Charlotte BAMA 93 Street Tune?