Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

largest mustang junkyard nobody knows of is crushing everything

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 09:58 PM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

"Believe it or not the guy is still buying cars and driving them in the woods. The last time i was there the owner bought a running 60's mustang and drove it in the woods to be left for dead."

Being Ford Enthusiasts, there must be something we can do, what I would do to have that 60's mustang instead of having it sit around.

Any suggestions? :P
Old 12-10-2008, 10:17 PM
StangNewbe

OMG...if you go to google earth and punch in that address you see the cars on the farm! WOW
Old 12-11-2008, 03:41 PM
2003MercMarauder

I had to register after reading this. I have been to this place a whole bunch of times. I'm 25 years old now and I used to go here during the summer time when I was in high school. When I first started reading this and saw the maps, I started thinking, I wonder if that is Junior's yard. Sure enough it is. It's called Highway Auto parts but it was never really officially listed as a business. There was a phone # listed for Highway Auto Parts but if you called it you got someone's house, and they would take messages for Junior and (sometimes) relay them to him over at the yard. But usually the messages just totally got lost.

Back when I would go here, I guess 6+ years ago now, Junior let me and my friend wander around unattended. His only rule for letting us wander the property was that we didn't smoke. He would yell at us even after we (honestly) told him we were non smokers, but after giving us a hard time he would always let us just wander wherever, unsupervised. Me and my friend would bring a good battery with us and get cars started occasionally and drive them around up there in the woods. I drove a hyundai until we broke down with it, completely blocking the dirt road that was the main access to the rest of the yard. He had to move it out of the way with his ancient diesel forklift. We also jumped and drove a diesel Golf, a Pontiac 6000 (my friend high sided this thing on a stump), and also a 3.8 RWD Buick (We actually did a huge burnout w/ the Buick on dirt). A lot of his stuff up there did run because it was in fact driven in there to die. I bought some 70s T bird parts from him. Most of the cars are total junkers, I suppose if you need specific parts and you know what you are looking at they may be worth it to you, but most of the cars are totally rotted out from underneath from sitting for so long. There is probably a million dollars worth of collectible car drivetrain and engine parts in there though, a LOT of cars were intact w/ engines and drivetrain. I am really sad to hear the state cracking down on the guy, he was always drunk but he was nice to me and my buddy and he let us drive one of his yard trucks around so we could get to parts. He made us take his truck all the way down the hill to get his foam beer cooler to bring him more beer where he was (very slowly) pulling parts from a Jeep one time. It must have been 100 degrees out and he was drinking Budweiser and nothing else. I have no idea how he didn't get heat stroke. I almost did, I cut a tree down with a hatchet to get a fender off a 75 T bird. The car had been in there for so long the tree was touching the fender. I had no water and it was unbelievably hot but I was determined to get the stupid fender. Junior was almost blind for sure. He has a trailer up in the woods, I think he may live on the property.

Last edited by 2003MercMarauder; 12-11-2008 at 03:55 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:12 PM
craig62989

does this guy sell them at a resonable price or what ? if he does im very interested in comming from michigan to get some.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:16 AM
SJs 66coupe
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by edgespeeder06
"Believe it or not the guy is still buying cars and driving them in the woods. The last time i was there the owner bought a running 60's mustang and drove it in the woods to be left for dead."

:P
That is the part that I can't figure out or answer is "why"?

Couldn't the average person find something better to spend their money on instead of buying cars that you are simply going to drive into the woods to let them rot?

Just doesn't make sense to me.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:50 PM
03_StangGuy

Damn this is sad to see all these cars just rotting away. Really why waste your time finding these cars to just let them rot!! Its not easy to find classic like this anymore. Any i wanna slap the jackasses in RI that wanna crush these cars. I may take a trip up there and check this out its only a few hours from me.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:00 PM
Joe67
Banned

24 THOUSAND VIEWS ON THIS!
Old 12-12-2008, 03:21 PM
03_StangGuy

BKL is full os ****, all "his" are the ones from Jalopnik, maybe it is his.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:29 PM
Joe67
Banned

Originally Posted by 03_StangGuy
BKL is full os ****, all "his" are the ones from Jalopnik, maybe it is his.
sorry? some sentence structure would help
Old 12-12-2008, 06:37 PM
HsMjsty

Well i too just signed up here to reply to this. im outta toronto, ontatio (Canada) and been looking for a yard with selection. i know that many of you say they are junkers, but sometimes its not just the ability to drive away. its the rare part thats missing on other cars out there and getting one in any condition would allow it to be re-made.

i think its sometimes mostly about the shape and 3 dimensional tangeble item that makes a rare find so useful.

someone mentioned the movie Wrong Turn, i totally agree, creepy. Still this warrants a road trip for me and some of my friends likly in the spring (on a dry day). ill be bringing my mech, a fabricator, and stang collector to help figure out the differences.

i think this Junior (JR) man has something here very special. too bad it sounds like there is likely no inventory handy, espeicially a location based one.

i would be willing to support some sort of initiative if someone (USA folk) was able to figure out some next steps to prevent such a devistating historical find. its by far the largest collection or yard ive ever heard of esspecially since most yards collect just about everything not only automobiles, bikes, construction equipment, lawnmowers, etc.

the photos are great, thank you for taking the time to of course capture this injustice and post them.

it'll be a long weekend i look forward to.

One question, well too, i also echo the "WHY?" posted recently and also does anyone know when the crushing or largescale (if any) disposal will begin?

from the Pics, i think just about every car collector who knows how to work metal into their bidding worldwide should check this place out. heck, our school board stinks, those buses look better than the ones we got on the road.

very strange indeed.

Quick Reply: largest mustang junkyard nobody knows of is crushing everything