Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

largest mustang junkyard nobody knows of is crushing everything

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 07:51 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Considering this thread started 3 years ago, and it wasn't new information then, I'd be surprised if we haven't passed the 'sell-by' date on that yard.
I used to go to a large yard in NJ, thousands of cars. Like any such business, when keeping the cars starts to cost more than selling them, or parts, it goes. That place in NJ? When state regulations got to the point where it was unprofitable, they brought in a press and started crushing them for scrap. The cars were 1950-1990, more or less, including at least 50 Mustangs that I knew of. Don't blame the owner, blame the state. When you can make more money cleaning up the car mess and planting corn, it's a pretty sad day. Renting out acreage for agriculture runs about $30 an acre around here. I'd be surprised if that former auto field brings in more than a few thousand a year.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:31 AM
CHUCK4850

Default UPDATE

I was at this yard today, and it's almost as full as it was 2 years ago (my last visit). They estimate about 12,000 cars on 100 acres! It took me all day to walk it, by myself, and I'm sure I missed plenty.
Now to set the story straight. JR is a pretty typical junk yard owner. He bought the yard many years ago from another guy who started it (I think he told me in the early 60's?). He has bought and sold cars, trucks, and parts ever since. He does, however, have a love for Ford products, so he only scraps them when there is nothing left to save. He isn't some crazy old man that just want's to horde all these great cars just to let them rot away. Scrap has been high for several years now, so he does hire Chuck & Eddies from New Haven, CT to bring their crusher, and haul scrap to Metal Management. This is still an active business, and he has no intentions of closing.
He does like his beer, so it doesn't hurt to bring him a couple 6 packs to make friends.
As far as prices go, he always treats me right. Once in a while he will think something is worth more than I do, so I politely decline, or gently negotiate a little. There are plenty of times that he charges less than I was expecting as well. The secret to successful buying at a place like this, is to be polite and friendly. No matter what you think, bite your tongue, and be nice! And on your first visit, make sure you buy something, without comment. This sets the stage for future visits. You don't want him to think you are cheap, or just a tire kicker.
There is a lot of cool stuff in that yard, but I didn't find any rare Mustang parts. No 428CJ's. Lots of Mustangs and Cougars, but all real rusty. Lots of 9" rears, but no 31 spline N cases (that I could find).
As far as the other yard, I have yet to see it. He never goes there, so I have yet to get in. He tells me that it's all 1965-66 Mustangs (no 1969-70's), so I won't find anything there that I need. I would love to hear from somebody who has been in there!
Chuck
Old 01-07-2012, 12:42 PM
Gun Jam

wow that's good to Know!

-Gun
Old 08-26-2016, 09:15 AM
StretchMonster

Coming to this thread pretty late, but does anyone know if the yard is still there? It's been 4 years since the last post, so I am wondering if anyone had been there recently.

Thanks
Old 08-26-2016, 08:17 PM
barstowpo
2nd Gear Member

Another Mustang junkyard is closing too. Mustang Village in Hesperia California, has technically already closed. What can be moved to San Bernardino will be in the month or so. What remains will be crushed. He can be contacted at 760.244.6400 or 909.383.5444.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:03 AM
CHUCK4850

This yard is still there. Business as usual.
Chuck
Old 08-28-2016, 08:07 AM
StretchMonster

Hi,

Thanks for the update. I have read this thread, and if I understand correctly, this is what I know:

The business is called Highway Auto Parts

It's located at
60 Weaver Hill Rd
West Greenwich, RI 02817
USA

The gentleman who runs it is called
Junior (JR)
and he likes Budweiser

His other yard it is on hopkins hill road near 95 and the Gtech building

Is that correct? I'm about 10 hours away, so I want to make sure I know where I'm going.

Thanks
Old 08-29-2016, 07:49 AM
CHUCK4850

Originally Posted by StretchMonster
Hi,

Thanks for the update. I have read this thread, and if I understand correctly, this is what I know:

The business is called Highway Auto Parts

It's located at
60 Weaver Hill Rd
West Greenwich, RI 02817
USA

The gentleman who runs it is called
Junior (JR)
and he likes Budweiser

His other yard it is on hopkins hill road near 95 and the Gtech building

Is that correct? I'm about 10 hours away, so I want to make sure I know where I'm going.

Thanks
You are correct. Good luck!
Chuck