Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Where Would You Not Drive Your Classic

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 02:49 PM
fast65
5th Gear Member

C'mon guys, let's not get too far off topic here.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:55 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

well i wouldnt drive it into a lake for various reasons
Old 12-03-2008, 02:57 PM
fast65
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by racin66coupe
well i wouldnt drive it into a lake for various reasons
why not, the frame rails are already rusted, might as well go all out.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:02 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by fast65
why not, the frame rails are already rusted, might as well go all out.
LOL45
Old 12-03-2008, 03:02 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

I'll drive it just about anywhere. Now getting out and walking away from it is another matter entirely!
Old 12-03-2008, 03:08 PM
SJs 66coupe
4th Gear Member

Certain parts of Houston are off the drive to list due to being a bad part of town.

I won't drive it to Walmart, Home Depot, the Mall, etc mostly more worried about shopping carts and door dings at those places.

But I drive it to work often and other places where I can keep an eye on it while I run in and take care of errands such as the cleaners, the bank, etc.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:44 PM
gwb16
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Waffles
Wait, wait.

So you're going to rag on Ford and the Union for providing me $25 as a temp, and both of my parents work for Ford, so God forbid they make a good wage the enabled me and my family to have a good income and have everything we needed growing up. But The Japs solid business plan? Is this some sick irony? The Japs business plan is to pay a worker to stay a TEMP indefinitely. NO good wages. NO Benefits. NO Pension. NOTHING. They work for nothing and DIE with nothing. I couldn't gve a rat's ***, to be honest, but let's face it, they're getting ****ed.

When you're done tooting your own horn about your 54K price tag on your silly Expedition, come back to reality. It's nicer down here. I DO support Ford, and the emblem and name, because it has put food on my table my entire life.

You wanna rag on the union and Ford? My mother is salaried (corporate) and my father is hourly. I don't know that anyone sees both sides of the table like I do. And I respect them both for what they are.

Did you hear Ford asked for 9 Billion? Yeah, read more into it next time. They want it just in case, but don't expect to use it because they expect to be breaking even before taxes this year, and by 2010 PROFITING. Alan Mulally, CEO of Ford, said if Ford has to TOUCH that 9 bil., he'll work for $1 a year until it's paid off. But you didn't want to mention that. Why? Because it would conflict with your arguement about them waking up? Or because you don't bother reading into things, you just want something to cry about?

I bet you had no problem bailing out the banks though? The banks which combined employ less than 1/3 the amount of people of any one of the Big Three do, but you'd readily help them out. I don't know what you do for a living, but I promise you this, if ANY one of the big three fail, your job will be hurting too. I GUARANTEE that. Because if the millions of people employed by the auto industry lose their jobs, they won't be able to afford ANYTHING. Then you bailing out the banks will be worthless, because 10 times more people will be jobless and bankrupt.

But yeah, you sound like a smart guy. Japan has a logical business plan.

So take your Expedition and move there. We don't need people like you taking up space in our country anyway.
Good for you and your folks. Glad that's working out for ya! How's the housing market in ole Motor City these days? No need to answer...I already know...
No - I wasn't all for the banking bail out either. The only "credit" bill I have is my mortgage and guess what? I'm NOT over extended, I bought what I could AFFORD, something about being a mature and informed consumer....blah blah that I learned years ago.
Ford CEO is gonna work for $1....no mention of the insane BONUSES that he'll be recieving regardless of Ford's performance. Now in Ford's defense, their bottom line looks to be in better shape than the others and kudos to them for promising to sell off their corporate jets. Baby steps, but you have to start somewhere.
About my 54K Expy...it was that expensive because of the overpaid UAW brass and cronies. Don't get me wrong, it's a very nice vehicle but my 99 Expy is built better. Must be those Mexican suppliers that the UAW forced corporate to search for....that caused the degraded quality.
No need to worry about what I do for a living, just believe me when I tell you that I work in an absolutely 100% recession proof industry, that will never be outsourced. You and me included, NEED my product to carry on with our daily activities...must of been something about understanding supply and demand principles that drove me to my line of work.
As for Toyota...well, I have a couple of friends that are making a damn fine living building Camry's, complete with retirement and health benefits.
I do live in reality, regardless of what you choose to believe about me.
I was once a union due paying, card carrying member of the United Steel Workers, for 9 years, but while I ground away during the day, I was burning the midnight oils to earn my degree. Something about wanting to better myself and be a better provider for my family. Once I earned that degree I was able to cross on over to the "other" side. I'm pretty sure my life is going just fine but thanks for your concern just the same.
Last time I checked, it's still a free country and I'll live where ever the hell I want to live...I don't like rice, so i'll pass on the trip to Japan.
I'm not crying but you however are working up a pretty good river...I know you're young, your bitterness will most likely subside as you grow older....maybe, we'll have to see about that.

Oh and I wouldn't drive my Mustang in Japan or Detroit....I've ran red lights on 9 mile in the daylight hours....

Last edited by gwb16; 12-03-2008 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:22 PM
SJs 66coupe
4th Gear Member

"that will never be outsourced. You and me included, NEED my product to carry on with our daily activities..."

So you work for a beer distributor? Just kidding but I couldn't help it.

You are correct though.

According to something I read in Forbes Magazine a while back....In 2006, the average autoworker in Detroit earned on average, including wages and benefits, more than $70.00 per hour, Specifically, Ford pays its labor an average of $70.51 per hour. A typical GM worker earns about $73.26 per hour and Chrysler's autoworkers earn a whopping $75.86 per hour. Per hour!

What does an autoworker do at Ford that makes him worth $26.00 per hour more than his counterparts Toyota, Nissan and Honda auto plants (also in the US) whose 2006 average wage was a mere $48.00 an hour?

But beyond that, how many of you earn seventy-five bucks an hour? I don't even make what a Toyota worker makes -- and I live pretty well, I think.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:10 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gwb16
just believe me when I tell you that I work in an absolutely 100% recession proof industry
I recall an episode of HBOs The Sopranos in which one mobster explained to the other mobsters..."Some things are recession proof. Certain aspects of the entertainment industry, and what we do."

He was, of course, wrong! No industry is recession proof. Some may be hit less hard than others but even those things we need for our daily lives such as food, utilities and health care, will see less spending.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:12 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

And I wouldn't drive my classic to the grocery store. Too many people too lazy to take their cart to the cart corral when they are done. They just leave them for the wind to catch and send them rocketing into the nearest downwind car.

Quick Reply: Where Would You Not Drive Your Classic