Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Going to paint on December 16

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 06:42 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Default Going to paint on December 16

I could screw around with little stuff forever so I set a deadline and called the body shop. It's about 99 percent ready...one rocker to sand and prime yet. They will pick it up on their truck, check my prep and change anything they don't like, seal it, shoot it, color sand and buff and then deliver back on their truck. $800 to $1200. It is going with fender extensions and valances reinstalled but separated from the body panels by spacers. The stone guards and headlight housings will be be separate since they touch other parts when installed.
Then I get to put it back together, if I remember the order in which the valance, upper and lower stone guard, headlight housings, bumper, grill and pony grill trim goes on.
Back of the car is easy. Just the bumper and valance.
Probably be gone about a week, unless they find something major wrong.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:45 PM
1965fastback
3rd Gear Member

Alright, sounds like you got a good deal on the work. Gotta post pics when it's done.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:18 PM
Joe67
Banned

wow 800 -1200 is a great price for all that
Old 12-03-2008, 07:31 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

damn nice price... only a single stage right? I remember you saying you wanting to go OG on the paint job
Old 12-03-2008, 08:47 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

I've seen shops charge that to buff a car! Hope they are a quality shop and you get a great paint job though. Just in time for Christmas! I'm looking at end of Feb or march before we hit paint.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:18 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 4reboy
damn nice price... only a single stage right? I remember you saying you wanting to go OG on the paint job
Single stage Honey Gold. That's how it came out of the factory and that's how I am keeping it.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:03 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Nice. Makes for a sharp color on that car. Staying with the Ivy Gold interior also correct?
Old 12-03-2008, 11:42 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Adrenolin
Nice. Makes for a sharp color on that car. Staying with the Ivy Gold interior also correct?
Yes. What I want is a 65 Mustang which looks the same as it did when it came out of Detroit. I think that comes from the day when I was in 7th grade or so and the Mustang was introduced and we all went down to the Ford dealership to see it. I remember thinking "I want a car like that." Only took me 43 years.
That was a big day. Back then dealers did not stock cars. They had maybe four or five to look at (total cars...not 4 or 5 Mustangs) and customers ordered cars, choosing colors off of samples about an inch square. Took something like two months or more to get your car. The dealers all got just one Mustang each for that day, which was good since most dealer showrooms had room for only one car. But actually, one advantage to ordering a car was they would tell you the day it would be built and you could go to the factory and watch your car being built.
Hard to believe these days, isn't it?
Old 12-03-2008, 11:55 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by honeygoldcoupe
Yes. What I want is a 65 Mustang which looks the same as it did when it came out of Detroit. I think that comes from the day when I was in 7th grade or so and the Mustang was introduced and we all went down to the Ford dealership to see it. I remember thinking "I want a car like that." Only took me 43 years.
That was a big day. Back then dealers did not stock cars. They had maybe four or five to look at (total cars...not 4 or 5 Mustangs) and customers ordered cars, choosing colors off of samples about an inch square. Took something like two months or more to get your car. The dealers all got just one Mustang each for that day, which was good since most dealer showrooms had room for only one car. But actually, one advantage to ordering a car was they would tell you the day it would be built and you could go to the factory and watch your car being built.
Hard to believe these days, isn't it?
My marti report says my car was built 1 day behind schedule