Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

approx. value

Old 12-15-2008, 12:29 PM
winfieldjuggalo

Default approx. value

i checked the NADA site for an approx. value and they told me that my 66 coupe (289, c4) is worth 11k. personally i think this is ridiculous. what would you folks say it is worth. here are the specs.
289, c4
interior is shot
drive train is leaky but sound, also i just put a new timing chain on, changed the front seal on the tranny about a year ago
brakes are brand new, except for the drums
front suspension is almost all poly, except the upper and lower control arm bushings
brand new gas tank, about 4 years ago
carb was rebuilt about 4 years ago
i have the dealer a/c unit in a box somewhere
dash isn't cut
body has small amounts of rust here and there, nothing too bad
has custom rims, though they are way past their prime
also for the record, the passenger door hits the fender when opened

thanks, any help is appreciated
Old 12-15-2008, 12:53 PM
Nick.Simonds
4th Gear Member

I would give you $1500-2000, if it can drive.

-What do you mean new brakes? Disc's?
-Poly bushing's would not be my first choice.
-Rust here and there, usually means there is more hiding.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:15 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Anyplace that appraises a classic without having a real appraiser look at it in person will be high. A year after I bought my 65 complete with rust holes and faded paint and 100,000 plus miles, the State sent me a notice of additional tax due. Seems they valued the car somewhere in the $16,000 range instead of the $7,500 I (overpaid) for it. I did appeal that (sent them photos) and they reversed their notice.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:39 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Nada and kelly blue book mean nothing really.If its a driveable coupe 3 to 4 grand is about normal what its worth.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:25 PM
Oxnard Montalvo
4th Gear Member

A more realistic value can be found @ Collector Car Market Review. It is what is says, the only thing is that the website values are one month behind the magazine values.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:36 PM
jlg2002
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by winfieldjuggalo
i checked the NADA site for an approx. value and they told me that my 66 coupe (289, c4) is worth 11k. personally i think this is ridiculous. what would you folks say it is worth. here are the specs.
289, c4
interior is shot
drive train is leaky but sound, also i just put a new timing chain on, changed the front seal on the tranny about a year ago
brakes are brand new, except for the drums
front suspension is almost all poly, except the upper and lower control arm bushings
brand new gas tank, about 4 years ago
carb was rebuilt about 4 years ago
i have the dealer a/c unit in a box somewhere
dash isn't cut
body has small amounts of rust here and there, nothing too bad
has custom rims, though they are way past their prime
also for the record, the passenger door hits the fender when opened

thanks, any help is appreciated
When you use NADA there are qualifications (and these are for resto units):

Low Retail Value
This vehicle would be in mechanically functional condition, needing only minor reconditioning. The exterior paint, trim, and interior would show normal wear, needing only minor reconditioning. May also be a deteriorated restoration or a very poor amateur restoration. Most usable "as-is".

Some of the vehicles in this publication could be considered "Daily Drivers" and are not valued as a classic vehicle. When determining a value for a daily driver, it is recommended that the subscriber use the low retail value.

Note: This value does not represent a "parts car".Average Retail Value
This vehicle would be in good condition overall. It could be an older restoration or a well-maintained original vehicle. Completely operable. The exterior paint, trim, and mechanics are presentable and serviceable inside and out. A "20-footer".High Retail Value
This vehicle would be in excellent condition overall. It could be a completely restored or an extremely well maintained original vehicle showing very minimal wear. The exterior paint, trim, and mechanics are not in need of reconditioning. The interior would be in excellent condition. Note: This value does not represent a "100 Point" or "# 1" vehicle *. * "100 Point" or "# 1" vehicle is not driven. It would generally be in a museum or transported in an enclosed trailer to concourse judging and car shows. This type of car would be stored in a climate-regulated facility.

As you can see your car doesn't technically even qualify for low retail. thus about $5K max is about it based on being a daily driver and not a resto unit.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:56 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

When I do the NADA they say my 67 is worth 10K, I know that is completely wrong.

I would say 1500-3000 if driveable.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:55 PM
65rangoon
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Oxnard Montalvo
A more realistic value can be found @ Collector Car Market Review. It is what is says, the only thing is that the website values are one month behind the magazine values.
that site is so so ... being #1 puts my car at $29,600 which to me #1 would be show room condition which its not and it was still appraised by a classic car dealership (buyer/seller/collector/appraiser) for $28,000
Old 12-16-2008, 06:46 AM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

That hurts my value. I have to deduct like 40% according to them.