Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

On the truck to paint - got real lucky!

Old 12-16-2008, 08:49 AM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Default On the truck to paint - got real lucky!

There she goes. A week to ten days or so and she'll back home. Talking with them at the shop I met the new guy who will be painting it. I asked if he had painted many complete cars, what with the place being an autobody shop and all. He said he just started a few months ago but before that he had been painting cars which were being sent to the Barrett-Jackson Auction. SAY WHAT?!?!?
Did I get lucky here, or what? He also likes Mustangs. His mother had a 67.
Anyway, he wants to cover it with high build and resand and use original paint, and even though it originally was single stage he does want to cover it with clear to minimize any orange peel and make it more sandable. I gave him the go ahead to do whatever he wants.
I'll put up pics when she's home. This is going to be a great Christmas!

Old 12-16-2008, 10:27 AM
SJs 66coupe
4th Gear Member

Sounds like you might have caught a lucky break.

I have found that if people working on your car are ones that "like Mustangs" it really helps as well.

My friend that runs a resto shop owns a '65 and did a few little "extra things" for me when my '66 was at his shop for floor pans, etc. I didn't ask him to do the minor cosmetic things and he didn't charge me for them...just little things like painting the interior of the doors and a few other small things. I really am not that likeable a guy (LOL!) so my guess is he just loves Mustangs that much and wanted her to look nice.

I went over the other day and they are doing a rotisserie now on a '64 1/2 convertible. Told him I would be stopping back by to check out the progress from time to time until that one is completed :-)

Can't wait to see yours...post pics when you get em

Last edited by SJs 66coupe; 12-16-2008 at 10:29 AM.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:45 AM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

Sounds like a great deal, although without sounding like a complete scrooge, I'm betting near the end of January for it to come back. Hey, the bright side is it needs time to cure before final paint.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:56 AM
Nabster
3rd Gear Member

I don't know about covering the whole thing in high build... your car will come out perfectly flat and smooth with no little dents at all... that doesn't seem factory to me

I have to agree with the clear though, it will help protect the paint as well as give it a more modern look, but you'll still be able to tell it's got original style single stage under it.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:33 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nabster
I don't know about covering the whole thing in high build... your car will come out perfectly flat and smooth with no little dents at all... that doesn't seem factory to me

I have to agree with the clear though, it will help protect the paint as well as give it a more modern look, but you'll still be able to tell it's got original style single stage under it.
You're right about not being smooth from the factory. I found lots of places where there were obvious imperfections right from the factory...dings and dents covered with factory paint and primer. The worst was when I took off one of the quarter "scoop" chrome pieces and discovered they apparently had broken the middle of the three cast screw mounts. They filled inside of the chrome piece with putty and stuck the screw mount in that so it would look like it was really attached. Well, the top and bottom screw held it for 44 years, it can continue to be mounted that way.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:44 PM
SJs 66coupe
4th Gear Member

Have you ever noticed that the passenger corner of the trunks on '65 / '66 models never seems to line up right....like it sticks out to far in the back.

I started to see what I could do to fix mine and notice that my friend's '65 had the exact same issue with that corner sticking out some and so does the '64 1/2 convertible he is restoring for someone. We got curious and started checking out pictures on the net and it seems 9 out of 10 of them has the same issue....at least the ones where we could tell in the pictures.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:44 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

sweet, can't wait to see it finished Jim! Now be sure to shine all that chrome, aluminum and stainless while it's gone!
Old 12-16-2008, 09:41 PM
65rangoon
3rd Gear Member

actually they werent a single stage originally IIRC .. they are a lacquer which technically does not need a clear but PPG and the like have a clear for lacquer.

single stage paint is not lacquer more of an enamel with an actual clear mixed in and not a mixing clear.

Some paints when mixed actually only have about 1/4 color and the rest is just mixing clear.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:02 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 65rangoon
actually they werent a single stage originally IIRC .. they are a lacquer which technically does not need a clear but PPG and the like have a clear for lacquer.

single stage paint is not lacquer more of an enamel with an actual clear mixed in and not a mixing clear.

Some paints when mixed actually only have about 1/4 color and the rest is just mixing clear.
Well, you're over my head on that one but I'll take your word for it. The shop is calling Ford with the code to determine what paint to get. And after looking in the trunk the painter said the car does have metallic, which I did not think it did. 40+ years of fading will do that.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:22 AM
Nabster
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by honeygoldcoupe
Well, you're over my head on that one but I'll take your word for it. The shop is calling Ford with the code to determine what paint to get. And after looking in the trunk the painter said the car does have metallic, which I did not think it did. 40+ years of fading will do that.
Ford's going to be useless for the paint code- they don't keep records for anything that far back. Pull up the paint sample sheet from any of the sites hosting them and they will have the paint code on it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: On the truck to paint - got real lucky!