Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

California black plates??

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 07:02 PM
david01130
4th Gear Member

Default nvm

nvm delete this

Last edited by david01130; 12-23-2008 at 07:10 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:19 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

My plate collector coworker tells me that the laws are changing next year to allow you to register a pair (has to be a pair) of matching plates to your vehicle as long as they're not still registered in the DMV's database to another car.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:33 PM
Carlos Pineiro
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Starfury
My plate collector coworker tells me that the laws are changing next year to allow you to register a pair (has to be a pair) of matching plates to your vehicle as long as they're not still registered in the DMV's database to another car.
I haven't thought about it recently, but you could always re-register black plates; it just used to be way more complicated. My friend had old black plates transfered and registered to a 65 Mustang he owned, but it took a while (this was before computers, in 81-82). He had to start by writing DMV in Sacramento. There was a waiting period, I think, for both his Mustang and the other car the black plates originally belonged to, and the year had to be the same. I don't know if other plates were Mustang or not.

Anyway, If the plates can come from dif year and/or make/model with the new law, there will be a lot more black plates coming off garage walls. Mine have been on the car since new. Cool thing is they're the one part on the car no one will steal because they're no good on any other car, plus they'll probably arrest you when you try to register your car with my plates, lol.

The nice thing about original black plates is it means the car was never salvaged or flooded since new. If registration was interrupted since 1969 the new plates would have been blue or white.

CP
Old 12-23-2008, 08:38 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

As of right now, it's not legal to add black plates to a vehicle in CA if they weren't originally issued to the car.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:50 PM
Carlos Pineiro
3rd Gear Member

As of right now, it's not legal to add black plates to a vehicle in CA if they weren't originally issued to the car.
The laws changed. You used to be able to transf plates. Anyway, gotta check out new law.

There are a lot of plates in CA.

New York State, including NYC & Long Island has 3.5 million registered vehicles. by comparison, CA has 18 million right now. 11 million in the city of Los Angeles alone.

Imagine if plates changed with the registration every time like some states. Whoa. That would be like a billion licence plates.

CP

Last edited by Carlos Pineiro; 12-23-2008 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:26 AM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

if that law does change I'm getting me some black plates from a junkyard, or ordering them online at this plate site that remakes them. I could I guess buy original plates, register it, then buy fresh and clean ones with the same numbers
Old 12-24-2008, 07:51 AM
mortman
3rd Gear Member

I looked in to this in October, the folks at the DMV said it is possible but the plates must be from the same make and year vehicle. so the plates from my grandfathers Chevy C10 truck would not fly. with the new changes i guess they might now, unless theirs an exception for commercial plates on a passenger vehicle. That would blow
Old 12-24-2008, 12:15 PM
Carlos Pineiro
3rd Gear Member

OK this is a little nuts, but what if you took your white plates, and painted them black? Who would know? If a cop runs your tags, the color of the plate never comes up in question.

Jus sayin'. :P

CP