Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

My Mustang's Former Life...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 12:13 PM
AlexZi
2nd Gear Member

I dont know which # owner I am. The owner before me lives about 10 minutes away. I found him on Craigslist and went to check the car out. Bought it for $6500. He told me the car had been sitting around for about 16 years in his garage, and he drove it rarely, but did take care of it and keep it running an up to par. Him and his cousin worked on it together, I assume since he told me his cousin put the cassette player in. Im going to guess the car was in New Jersey around 1990, since I have a sticker on my windshield that is a Bergen County Sheriff PBA dated 1990. I do know that the paint is old, and the car is decent condition. Good for a driver, which mine is. I drive it every day. I did not get any records or receipts with the car. The PO had to sell it because his wife had some sort of cancer, where she needed chemotherapy often. She was taking pills that cost him about 500 dollars each time they needed to be refilled, and health insurance wasn't helping much. He wasnt very wealthy so he could not afford it. This situation forced him to sell his cars. I'm assuming he had more, because he had some vanity plates and pictures hung up in his garage which I am guessing were of his previous cars.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:29 PM
sandmountainslim

In 1993 I pulled the wrecked drivers side door off of my '66 and replaced it with one from a car in a junkyard. For all these years I thought the door I removed was the original and I had left it over at my dads house. I went back the other day to get the door for the data place and windows etc and it turns out it is also NOT the original door to the car. It is the door off of a green '65 Mustang according to the data plate info. So apparently the Blue Bastard is on it's third ds door and has been for 16 years! I ran the data off of the door I currently use and it is from a Wimbledon White '66 built in Dearborn.
Wp

Last edited by sandmountainslim; 05-06-2009 at 09:33 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:56 PM
Redwings

I am the second owner. My great uncle bought it brand new and it only has 66,xxx miles on it.
My Mustang has had a great life having rarely spent the night under the stars. It is an all original 289 2V automatic that I have owned for the last 12 years. It has only had one set of keys ever used on it and never been wrecked, had glass replaced, or even had the spare tire put on it. Unfortunately it has spent it's whole life in Michigan and has seen some winters through the years. It does need some TLC, but I am getting to a point that she is about to get everything she deserves.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:49 AM
Carlos Pineiro
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Redwings
I am the second owner. My great uncle bought it brand new and it only has 66,xxx miles on it.
My Mustang has had a great life having rarely spent the night under the stars. It is an all original 289 2V automatic that I have owned for the last 12 years. It has only had one set of keys ever used on it and never been wrecked, had glass replaced, or even had the spare tire put on it. Unfortunately it has spent it's whole life in Michigan and has seen some winters through the years. It does need some TLC, but I am getting to a point that she is about to get everything she deserves.
Original unmolested Mustangs are rare. Enjoy it.

CP
Old 08-08-2009, 01:33 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Got the Cougar from the Lincoln Mercury dealer in Lincoln Nebraska on west O street. Only thing I know about it was it came from California after being built in Dearborn.

The Mustang I got from the brother of a guy who worked with me at Perfect Circle making pistons rings and running CNS lathes. His brother was not a mechanically inclined guy even though he wanted to be rather badly. The two of them were simply not car guys, they never even changed oil before they met me. It had four mismatched tires, but two rims matched, and it was in the condition you see it in the thread about it when I got it. The Cleveland had so much blowby you had to shut it off to put oil in it, every corner had been hit on the car. The dude used expanding foam in the rust holes in an attempt to keep dust out of it. I did drive it home 75 miles and it made it ok, after three stops for oil and putting enough air in the tires twice. It was tired and really I just wanted the parts from it, like the 9" locker and whatever I could salvage from the Cleveland.

When I get the PoD done I plan to find the guy I bought it from and let him drool over it, I know where his brother lives in Nebraska so it shouldnt be hard to find him.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:13 PM
Jaded
2nd Gear Member

I'm the third owner of both my mustangs.

The Dearborn coupe (Signal Flare Red with Vinyl top) was found in a field in Oklahoma by the second owner. It had 52,000 original miles on it, but had seen it's share of accidents. It's pretty cobbled together, perfect for a daily driver.

The second owner bought it for his hobby of, uh, kinda putting cars together. It ran, but it was rough, the spark plug wires were backwards on one side. I plan on redoing this car next, and I may take her back to the Sunlit Gold she was born with, along with the blacked out tail panel and vinyl top.

The San Jose coupe (primer grey) was owned by the grandson of the first owner. Looks like the original 289 is history, and the interior is long gone. My plans are to do a 68 Shelby look alike, with some refinements. I want a car that is fun to drive and I want to get back into showing the car. Her original color was acapulco blue, which may be the color I go back too, my major malfunction though is that I like green. I can't find a shade that curls my toes though, so that blue is looking better and better. How about with or without titanium stripes?