Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Auto Trader R.I.P.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 05:22 PM
Joe67
Banned

Default Auto Trader R.I.P.

We have all flipped through the pages of an auto trader at some point in our lives, whether we were looking for a deal on our next car, parts, or simply dreaming and wishing for one.
Well as a dealer it has been announced to me that on Thursday Jan 8 2009 there was an executive decision to stop production of the auto trader magazine....
they will uphold the online part of it, but the book is no longer....

Also the company auto trader bought out auto mart and a few other auto publications, to put them out of business and be on top, and went down all together

so buy the last edition of auto trader on Jan 20 2009 and have yourself a small piece of history.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:49 PM
lunarweasel
4th Gear Member

Wow, crazy, but I guess not unexpected. I wonder if they could have made it if they hadn't overextended. Seems like a good time to be in that line of work with people having hard times and needing to sell.

I will miss it, fun to leaf through.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:20 PM
hdsuperduty

Not uncommon... A rising trend in the piblication world... The "Want ad" paper here in New England, same fate... RIP
Old 01-11-2009, 06:46 PM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

I sold my first Mustang through Auto Trader. It was a 1966 fastback GT A-code, candy apple red with a red and white pony interior, 4 speed and rally pac. I still regret selling it. For I believe $20, they sent a photographer to my house. He took a few pictures and it came out in the magazine a couple weeks later. Imagine people today having to wait a couple of weeks to place their ad! This is the age of instant gratification, oh yes, and the Internet.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:06 PM
Joe67
Banned

internet is updated as soon as the rep plugs their smart phone camera into a computer. not in weeks

but at our dealer ship we have less draw form internet than the book because people prefer to browse through something tangible, where than can jot down notes, tear out pages.... etc

also for employees of the company 99% of their employees lost their jobs
its a sad time for car history, i think
Old 01-11-2009, 10:31 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

I have sold a few cars and trucks in auto trader its great.Had to drive it to there office here they took pictures add was on there site when i got home never checked the paper backs tho.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:08 AM
Carlos Pineiro
3rd Gear Member

When I was in the boy scouts AT was the stuff dreams were made of. Until I was 32, I never even thought I would ever own a car, and didn't know how to drive one.

I used to dream of owning a classic car one day like the ones in the trader. Other kids bought comic books, I got the Old Car Trader.

When I first realized I was going to move from Manhattan to CA after 32 years and would have to learn to drive, I got the trader and found a 69 Mustang for $500; all original, beat up, but running. I already had some grey hair, but after all those traders and all those dreams, I finally owned a car, and it wasn't a Corolla.

Nice memories.

CP
Old 01-12-2009, 11:36 AM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

Talking

Originally Posted by fakesnakes
I sold my first Mustang through Auto Trader. It was a 1966 fastback GT A-code, candy apple red with a red and white pony interior, 4 speed and rally pac. I still regret selling it. For I believe $20,

I'd have given you $25 for it.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:38 AM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

I have bought 2 mustangs through the autotrader.

Not by buying the book, mind you, but by standing there at a gas station thumbing through it and punching phone numbers into my cell.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:38 PM
Joe67
Banned

Originally Posted by Waffles
I have bought 2 mustangs through the autotrader.

Not by buying the book, mind you, but by standing there at a gas station thumbing through it and punching phone numbers into my cell.
WAFFLES! i blame this entirely on you!, if you would have paid 5 bucks for the book, they would not be going out of business....
YOU are crushing peoples dreams

Quick Reply: Auto Trader R.I.P.