Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Hagerty Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 01:01 PM
wumarshall82
2nd Gear Member

Default Hagerty Insurance

Farm Bureau told me that for $163 a year I can have 10k assured value on my car through Hagerty.

Does anyone have this insurance?
Old 01-15-2009, 01:07 PM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

Don't go with them if you like driving your car.

They're a great company, and love classic cars, but not as drivers to the Grocery Store or anything. Official parades, etc is ALL they want you driving in. If your car gets wrecked in a supermarket parking lot or on your way to work, you better have a good excuse for why you were out with it.

I'd recommend avoiding them, unless you RARELY drive your car.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:10 PM
wumarshall82
2nd Gear Member

Do you have some type of assured value insurance?
Old 01-15-2009, 01:19 PM
69FB
4th Gear Member

I have Hagerty and they're great! Of course I haven't driven my car since last May...

I did see that Heathcock offers insurance on classics for "limited" driving. Not as limited as Hagerty though if I remember their ad.

Good luck and let me know what you go with.

If I ever get my car out of the shop I might switch myself.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:37 PM
wumarshall82
2nd Gear Member

I called Hagerty and they told me that driving it once a week around town isnt a big deal but they dont want you driving it every day. I probably drive it once a week now but I am not sure how much that will change going forward and there are no mile restrictions per year. They also dont want you leaving it in a parking to go shopping for 4 hours which I wouldnt leave it all probably and you have to keep it garage kept which I do.

I think all insurance companies are sheisters you dont know what they will do if you wreck it. The price seems great but I just dont know...
Old 01-15-2009, 02:00 PM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

Like I said, they're great people but they really limit you on where/when you drive..

I have mine insured through AAA seasonally covered and agreed value is $35k. (It's REALLY awesome to have a grandfather as a licensed Appraiser.) and I pay like $32/month, and I am 21 with several speeding tickets... then from Oct-april I store it and put it under my renter's insurance.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:13 PM
wumarshall82
2nd Gear Member

with AAA you have to have an appraisal? How much would that normally cost?
Old 01-15-2009, 10:15 PM
65rangoon
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Waffles
Don't go with them if you like driving your car.

They're a great company, and love classic cars, but not as drivers to the Grocery Store or anything. Official parades, etc is ALL they want you driving in. If your car gets wrecked in a supermarket parking lot or on your way to work, you better have a good excuse for why you were out with it.

I'd recommend avoiding them, unless you RARELY drive your car.
i have an email from hagerty stating otherwise .. i emailed their contact us deal on their website. ill post up the response

still had it saved:

RE: Policy Questions‏
Sent: Mon 7/28/08 4:27 PM
To: me

Dear Mr. Taylor:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us about possibly insuring your 1965 Ford Mustang Convertible. Our policy is a flexible, limited use policy. We do not, however, limit you to just show and club use. Occasional pleasure driving fits our underwriting guidelines, but our policy is not intended for vehicles regularly driven to work or school or for running errands. We look for usage that is consistent with owning a valuable automobile and the availability of insured regular use vehicles for daily transportation. While the average mileage generally put on a collector vehicle is approximately 2,000-3,000 miles annually, our policy language does not state a specific mileage limitation. In addition, we do not have attendance clauses like some other companies. This means that you are able to stop at a restaurant or store on occasion and leave your car unattended in the parking lot. Other companies will deny claims that occur during these types of circumstances.

You are welcome to garage the car in Iowa and have your policy written for the state of Illinois; we just want to ensure that your Mustang is garaged at all times when not in use. We prefer that collector vehicles are not stored in community parking garages, but we can sometimes make accommodations for the right circumstances. I suggest that you give us a call at (800)922-4050 to obtain a quote and discuss your situation in greater detail. Our hours are Monday - Friday 8:30am - 8pm, Saturday 8:30am - 4pm and Sunday 12pm - 4pm (Eastern). We would be honored to have your business and would work hard to provide you with the best service in the industry. Thanks again for choosing Hagerty!

Regards,

Christy Anderson >> Licensed Agent >> Hagerty

P: 800.922.4050 F: 231.941.8227 E: auto@hagerty.com

WWW.HAGERTY.COM | 141 RIVER'S EDGE DR., SUITE 200, TRAVERSE CITY, MI 49684
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2008 6:14 PM
To: Public Folder - Auto Internet Share
Subject: Policy Questions

Hello,

I am currently looking for insurance coverage of a 1965 Ford Mustang Convertible that was recently appraised at $28,000. I do have a few questions about the policies though and didnt not get satisfactory answers from a local hagerty underwriter.

1) Is there a mileage per year limit on the policy or is it unlimited?

2) Where is the vehicle covered? Is it strictly car shows, cruises, and sitting parked at the house? or is it also covered if i stop and eat at a restaraunt or run into a store while on a sunday cruise?

3) Am i able to insure the car in Illinois but then keep the car in a private garage in Iowa at either my parents house or grandmothers house? Or do i need to insure it in the state that i am going to garage the car?

4) I currently live in a condo building where the garage is a secure garage but is a community garage with assigned parking spaces. Is this ok per the policy requirements? If it is, 9-10 months out of the year the car will be garaged in iowa. If this is not ok per the policy, the car will stay in Iowa 100% of the time.

Thanks

Neil

Last edited by 65rangoon; 01-15-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:19 PM
65rangoon
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wumarshall82
with AAA you have to have an appraisal? How much would that normally cost?
around here and back home about $200
Old 01-16-2009, 12:00 AM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

Didn't have to, but with an appraisal we were able to have an agreed value rather than some monkey at AAA try to decide what it's worth when I wreck it.

Quick Reply: Hagerty Insurance