Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Shelby GT500 KR Crushed !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 09:34 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Time to make it a convertible.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:53 PM
jasond393
1st Gear Member

Looking at those pictures made me sick
Old 01-15-2009, 11:30 PM
WildMustang351
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by fast65
Yeah, this was posted in OT a few days ago. Definitely a tragedy, how could that truck drive make such a dumbass mistake.
I would be most upset with the BROKER who arranged to have a SHELBY shipped on the cheapest,crappiest,trucking company he could find.

It's a SHELBY for crying out loud!!

I can tell you from the pictures, It was sent on a early 90's model GMC semi with a Late 80's trailer with probably a million + miles on it,driven by a driver who was most likely not born in the USA and has just learned enough English to navigate the American highways and NOT know the ASE standards of height measurement.

This is who the BROKER should have sent it with!!
Someone who takes pride in what they ship.
Not some fool who ships for CHEAP!!

http://www.wdtc.net/enclosed.shtml

Last edited by WildMustang351; 01-15-2009 at 11:33 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:54 PM
Tang 72
2nd Gear Member

its a shame what happened to that car. the one up-side is that, in a hobby like ours, it is almost certain that the car will either be repaired or parted out and become parts on other cars... at least we recycle... still nothing like an original surviving KR.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:27 AM
flyingfool
3rd Gear Member

id agree, deffinatly a rescue. but a shame to lose the integrity of the car. there certainly are some DUMB guys driving around in machinery much too large for themselves to handle. most of those trailers even have measurements written on them somwhere. ( might be worn off i guess)
Old 01-16-2009, 01:39 AM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WildMustang351

I can tell you from the pictures, It was sent on a early 90's model GMC semi with a Late 80's trailer with probably a million + miles on it,driven by a driver who was most likely not born in the USA and has just learned enough English to navigate the American highways and NOT know the ASE standards of height measurement.
Yeah, blame it on the foreigner.

There's a lot of dumbass Americans too, you know.

You are assuming way too much.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:13 AM
pork
1st Gear Member

This is who the BROKER should have sent it with!! Someone who takes pride in what they ship. Not some fool who ships for CHEAP!!
Unless you know more about this incident than I do, & thats not likely, you don't know who arranged transportation.. I been involved in the purchase, or sale, & shipping of a few cars over the years & in each case the buyer chose the shipper, not the broker or seller. The broker may have provided a list of shippers but ultimately it's the buyers decision on how much he wants to spend to ship.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:27 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

ASE standards of height measurement.
Understand that posted clearance measurements vary not only in their accuracy but also in their reference point (center, curb, etc.). Truck drivers do generally learn which signs they have to trust and which ones have some "slack" in practical terms. Some, but not all, of this clearance information is available electronically (nav system packages for truckers - http://www.alk.com/copilot/truck-laptop.asp ) and the driver was likely putting too much faith in that sort of thing. How do I know this? My son and my son-in-law both drive semi's for a living and have done OTR, dedicated run, and regional driving.

Norm
Old 01-16-2009, 08:46 AM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

Pull out the hammer and dolly and fix the thing. If not for accidents, then we would have no need for insurnce. Theres a good chance that the driver was in a strange area in heavy traffic, and missed the warning sign. Not often do you see a KR crunched up like this. My wife and I was hit while traveling to Commerce Georgia for a show several years ago. While driving thru an intersection a vehicle rolled down a small hill and plowed into the side of my box trailer. I felt a jolt and my wife yelled "you hit somebody" and I said "there was nobody around to hit". Then she said "NO, NO, somebody hit you". Looking back in the mirror I seen a like an large Oldsmobile 98 blocking about half of the traffic lane with the radiator steaming. They were three groups of us traveling together so I yelled on the radio what had happened. When I pulled over a truck driver stopped histerically said "I seen it happen, and theres nobody in the car". While looking back at the Olds, I seen a man come out from the convenience store and looked to his left and to his right. You could he was mad as a hornet and was thinking, somebody stold my car. After a few seconds and he stepped out a little more where he could see his car and his hands immediatelywent to his head as to say "oh crap". Come to find out when he stopped he didn't put the car in park. The impact was so great that the trailer was knocked out of square and was totaled. In it was the KR and it was moved about 6" to the side, but showed no signs of damage. Thank goodness I had straps on all four corners, otherwise I'm sure it would have hit the wall. What is the odds of getting hit by a driverless vehicle a few hundred miles from home. That day the trailer sure did pay off as the car was protected and was not damaged. Now, if only they would put up some signs that say "watch out for driverless moving vehicles".
Old 01-16-2009, 11:52 AM
WildMustang351
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Galactusz
Yeah, blame it on the foreigner.

There's a lot of dumbass Americans too, you know.

You are assuming way too much.
I know I am a OTR truck driver and have been doing it for 15 years.

I have logged over 2.5 million safe accident free miles.

If there is someone who has insider information I think I may qualify.

Truck driving is not America's dirty little secret,it is an industry that everyone relies on to move products from one place to another,Just like a basket of apples not every apple is the same.
As with truck driving you don't need an education in most cases to be responsible for 80,000 of moving freight at sometimes 75+mph.
When I was 21 I went to a drivers training course at my local college for 3 months and logged nearly 80 hours of classroom time before they even let me behind the wheel,Then I had to log 20 hours of driving with a trainer before they let me take the test for my CDL.

Enter the foreign drivers I mentioned before.
When you move to America you are given certain tax and legal exemptions for 5 years (as far as I understand it) paving the way for you to open a small business,buy a home,obtain interest free loans,etc...
These newly arrived Americans can go to a local bank and apply for a HOME LOAN and receive credit to purchase a "home". Their HOME is often a cheap rarely maintained 18 wheeler with a trailer in the same or worse condition!
This means as long as they can read enough to take the CDL test and pass it in their local state they are TRUCK DRIVERS without even knowing how to drive anything, Let alone a 18 wheeler!
So after the purchase of their "new" 18 wheeler these people who now live full time in their trucks can now be free to compete with other well trained drivers and companies for freight.The price they haul it at is often way below what it costs to have it hauled by a larger well established fleets.
I have nothing against Legal immigrants, I just think our system has let us down.

A SHELBY KR should have been shipped with a more watchful eye then that.
Just from the pictures of the Semi it was shipped on,You can see the total value of the truck and trailer was in the $10-15,000 dollar range, if that. I wouldn't ship a box of crackers on a Semi like that!

Quick Reply: Shelby GT500 KR Crushed !!!!