Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Noise complaint!

Old 01-17-2009, 05:02 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

When I build my house, I'm insulating the crap out of everything to help with soundproofing. I hate houses that you can here things happening 2 floors up!
Old 01-17-2009, 05:35 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by baddog671
When I build my house, I'm insulating the crap out of everything to help with soundproofing. I hate houses that you can here things happening 2 floors up!
We did that 7 years ago in our new house. Helps a lot. Use insulation designed for sound deadening...not regular insulation.
Also, the best method is to stagger the studs. With most walls all the studs are lined up and the sheetrock is attached on both sides every 16 inches. Stagger the studs on 8 inch centers and then attach the sheetrock just to the studs it touches on each side of the wall (every 16 inches). That is becoming more and more common in condos. Works wonders.

Last edited by HGC; 01-17-2009 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:40 PM
65rangoon
3rd Gear Member

the place my buddy and i had back in rockford, 1 guy knocked on our door to compalin about the noise becuase "his 4 year old kid was sleeping down the hall and you can hear a faint thump from the bass"

now mind you this guy thought he was better then everyone else. lived in a $800/mo apt but drove a brand new lexus and his GF drove a brand new BMW. They were only there a few months and then moved out.

the people before them and after them NEVER bitched or said a word. we even asked the people after them and they said they could barely hear it when sitting at the wall dividing the places.

the lady before this guy was also a 50 yr old lady and she didnt even care.

oh and they were townhouses more so then apts. as we had a door direct to the outside plus private garage.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:49 PM
65rangoon
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by honeygoldcoupe
This past summer I did do a fair amount of grinding and pounding on the Mustang with the garage door open. I know it was noisy but in my neighborhood there are bunches of kids and the shrill shrieks they make when playing was not much worse than a little grinding. Add to that the leaf/grass clipping blowers (completely unnecessary device) and I could not really feel too bad about making a bit of noise myself.
Remember...it's only too noisy when someone else is doing it.
sorry to use you as an example HGC haha

to me if a person is afraid of a noise complaint form a neighbor and you live in an actual house then your houses are either to close together or you have some idiot neighbors.

growing up at my parents house, residential neighborhood, down the street from 2 schools we had a dirt bike & go kart we would ride in the backyard (our yard plus next 3 houses = almost half a football field)

we also did all sorts of grinding, working on cars, welding, wood working, my brother and i built stereo systems for friends and made custom boxes etc with the garage door open and no one ever complianed.

granted the old guy next door bought my brother and i BB guns when we were younger, bought us a tent, etc

if a person cant stand a little construction noises then they should be in an apartment or condo then a house
Old 01-17-2009, 06:05 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by honeygoldcoupe
We did that 7 years ago in our new house. Helps a lot. Use insulation designed for sound deadening...not regular insulation.
Also, the best method is to stagger the studs. With most walls all the studs are lined up and the sheetrock is attached on both sides every 16 inches. Stagger the studs on 8 inch centers and then attach the sheetrock just to the studs it touches on each side of the wall (every 16 inches). That is becoming more and more common in condos. Works wonders.

Ah, interesting! When I first read that I was like "What? How would that do anything but double cost and complexity?" But now I see!

http://www.diy-home-theater-design.c...stud-wall.html

What did you use for insulation? I'm used to the rolls, but wouldn't think "blow-in" would work for a wall like that. Wouldn't it just fall back out...
Old 01-17-2009, 08:05 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by baddog671
Ah, interesting! When I first read that I was like "What? How would that do anything but double cost and complexity?" But now I see!

http://www.diy-home-theater-design.c...stud-wall.html

What did you use for insulation? I'm used to the rolls, but wouldn't think "blow-in" would work for a wall like that. Wouldn't it just fall back out...
Rolls. They make special roll insulation just for sound deadening. The purpose of the staggered studs is to prevent the sound from having a solid connection between the rooms. Air is actually a lousy sound conductor. Solid material conducts sound very well. With a standard wall you have sheetrock connected directly to studs connected directly to the sheetrock in the next room...and that will carry sound and vibration. The staggered studs prevents a direct solid connection.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:09 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 65rangoon
sorry to use you as an example HGC haha

to me if a person is afraid of a noise complaint form a neighbor and you live in an actual house then your houses are either to close together or you have some idiot neighbors.
About 75 to 100 feet apart across the street. However, I was in the garage with the door open. The garage creates something of an echo chamber aimed directly across the street. I did limit the car work to a few hours on Saturday and Sunday and limited the grinding and pounding to shorter times. Gotta have some consideration, you know.
Nobody complained and we don't complain about the kids.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:32 PM
66JameStang
4th Gear Member

I think we can all agree that there are appropriate levels and times when you can be louder than others... Some people are so caught up in themselves that they have no consideration for others, especially when the others are already accommodating for others... they should of heard us before we had upstairs neighbors
Old 01-19-2009, 09:40 PM
1965fastback
3rd Gear Member

I live in the country on 65 acres. I dare you to drive down my 1/2 mile long driveway and complain to me!
Old 01-20-2009, 01:27 PM
Kenny_Z
2nd Gear Member

I try not to do anything loud after 8pm out of consideration to my older neighbors behind me. They've never said anything but I don't want to be a bother. My other neighbor I don't really care what he thinks. He won't stop driving through my yard so I don't feel like I should care what they think about my noise. When the older ones are out of town I go out of my way to make noise.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Noise complaint!