Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Boy am i glad...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 06:40 PM
Joe67
Banned

Default Boy am i glad...

I decided to just get my block bored and honed, and PROPERLY cleaned
my original idea was to just degrease it and put it together, due to lack of cash
but i broke down and took ti tot he machine shop,
40 OVER!
Good thing i took it huh?
As soon as i can put some more money together i'm buying the engine kit and believe it or not im gonna try to put my cam bearings and wrist pins in my self.... see where this is going?

Why does a machine shop heat rods to put wrist pins in, last time i check heat expanded metal making a smaller hole for a wrist pin.... shouldn't they be superchilled? to create a larger hole?

I have been told that with my press i can put my own wrist pins in without the oven...
good idea or bad? I'm working with limited money

Also cam bearings, my friend who was helping me with the engine before, has the cam bearing tool, so that should be fine, right?
Old 01-21-2009, 07:03 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

At least you didn't go to 60 over. My I6 is 40 over, some people say they heat up easier, mine doesn't heat up at all.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:18 PM
Tony R
4th Gear Member

mine is at .60 over. The machine shop said I shouldn't have any thing to worry about even with a turbo build.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:25 PM
ky
America ftw

the cam bearing tool, im assuming it had the adjustable size expander. just slide the bearing on, tighten, and then make sure it starts straight. then go in almost all the way, and remove the shaft, and use a flashlight and a tiny mirror to look down the oil ways in the main. then keep knocking it in until it lines up good.

edit. duh im a dummy. doh.

Last edited by ky; 01-21-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:42 PM
Joe67
Banned

heat expands metal
cold shrinks it

heat makes molecules move more rapidly and spread out
cold makes molecules slow down and come together

heat makes metal less dense, and larger
cold makes metal more dense and smaller

the reason you remove galley plugs with heat it because it opens up pores to allow oil to penetrate the metal
and they heat the rod not the pin, so.... why?
Old 01-21-2009, 07:47 PM
Gun Jam

wellllll from a metallurgical stand point heating causing expansion. IF the metal is turned red hot it stretches and when it is cooled off there is no more load on it because it stays stretched.

DANGER DANGER.... heating metal red hot can land you in deep crap depending on the type of metal and temper.
we call red hot the Austenite phase. IF cooled rapidly from this phase the metal tends to have small grain structure. Metal is made of grains a lot like the cell wall of plants. Small grains prduce hard metal that is also very brittle and can shatter. Slow cooling (air or oil quench) allows grains to grow large producing tough soft metal that wont shatter but can be deformed easily.

What Im trying to say is. If you heat any metal up past 1000 F (dark red) you will begin to alter its grain structure. Many critial componets I would think have some specail metal properties that manufactures work hard to maintain and heating them up will undo all that hard work. Be careful before heating anything critical.

-Gun
Old 01-21-2009, 07:49 PM
ky
America ftw

Originally Posted by Gun Jam
wellllll from a metallurgical stand point heating causing expansion. IF the metal is turned red hot it stretches and when it is cooled off there is no more load on it because it stays stretched.

DANGER DANGER.... heating metal red hot can land you in deep crap depending on the type of metal and temper.
we call red hot the Austenite phase. IF cooled rapidly from this phase the metal tends to have small grain structure. Metal is made of grains a lot like the cell wall of plants. Small grains prduce hard metal that is also very brittle and can shatter. Slow cooling (air or oil quench) allows grains to grow large producing tough soft metal that wont shatter but can be deformed easily.

What Im trying to say is. If you heat any metal up past 1000 F (dark red) you will begin to alter its grain structure. Many critial componets I would think have some specail metal properties that manufactures work hard to maintain and heating them up will undo all that hard work. Be careful before heating anything critical.

-Gun
studied metalery did we eh?
Old 01-21-2009, 07:57 PM
Gun Jam

a bit....
Old 01-21-2009, 08:50 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

my engine is now .04 over, its not a big deal at all. My machine shop (which is a great one btw) says they go .06 over all the time on race engines. If you're concerned about overheating get a high-flow aluminum water pump, bigger radiator, nice fan, and all that good tuff.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:51 PM
dcohen
4th Gear Member

my 289 is .060 over, the shop said that it wasnt unusual and that it would be fine

i think the biggest overheating issues are cause by dirty cooling systems.

Quick Reply: Boy am i glad...