Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

67 reassembly

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 12:26 AM
Bloo Beest

Default 67 reassembly

Well, tomorrow I am getting my 67 back from months of rehab and paint. Just the unibody now, completely stripped. So I'm ready to begin reassembly.

Anybody have any advice on how to organize it, what to do in what order, or any other helpful advice? Any comments are appreciated. I am pretty sure this is going to be a little harder than taking it apart

Hugger Orange with ivory Shelby stripes, black interior this time (it was originally turquois, then parchment),14 inch Cragar SS, 5.0/T5, fiberglass hood and front valence, trunk wing, some suspension and frame improvements. LOTS of new sheet metal.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:29 AM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

Hey, how about some pictures? Sounds like a great project! I'd love to see the paint scheme.

Here is how I would approach it:

- Fuel and brake lines
- Rough wiring
- Suspension/steering/brakes
- Steering column
- Drivetrain
- Gas tank/radiator/heat a/c
- Doors/front fenders/trunk/hood/all other body pieces
- Exterior lights
- Interior
- Finish wiring
- Wheels/exterior trim/badges/decals

Did I mention posting some pictures?
Old 01-28-2009, 08:56 PM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

Sounds like fakes pretty much covered it. You'll find yourself installing then removing and re-installing many times in some cases, because some things will need to go in before other things. No way to assemble a list for that, just trial and error. No big deal, just takes time. Good luck, and yes, pics-we love 'em.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:58 AM
genesis
Former Sponsor

good luck
Old 01-29-2009, 08:49 PM
Bloo Beest

Default Pics

I have some pics to post but I can't figger out how to get them to upload to this site.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:16 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

easiest way is to put them on photobucket or another online imaging site and post the links to the album or the pictures.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:54 PM
Bloo Beest

Default pics

Well, try this link:

http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...ng%20restomod/
Old 01-29-2009, 10:59 PM
Bloo Beest

Default ZMETALMILITIA

NICE!

I came within an inch of doing this one in black with black metalflake stripes. Nice job.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:01 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by zmetalmilitia
Sounds like fakes pretty much covered it. You'll find yourself installing then removing and re-installing many times in some cases, because some things will need to go in before other things. No way to assemble a list for that, just trial and error. No big deal, just takes time. Good luck, and yes, pics-we love 'em.
He is right about this. When I reassembled (not nearly as taken apart as yours) I found more than once that I had put something on first which should have gone on last.
Don't get in a hurry. I did, and I ended up cracking a front fender extension. It didn't feel quite right but I kept tightening it down anyway.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:51 PM
Bloo Beest

Default Mockup

I know what you mean. When I do something like this (meaning, when I do something I know jack about) I consider most of it "mockup" until It's almost done. I changed the 5.0 serpentine belt setup to the old style V-belts. That was an adventure (my friend called it a nightmare).

For the last month I have been looking for one of my strut rods. I knew I'd put it someplace where I wouldn't lose it, but I tossed the place and couldn't fimd it. Last week I just ordered a new one. It came yesterday. Today I was looking at the body (which just came back, right?) and there was that strut, right where it's always been. And I remembered thinking, "I'll just leave this one on since I don't want to lose it and I don't have to remove it for repairs". Nice one.

Quick Reply: 67 reassembly