Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

What is your town's mustang culture?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 11:30 PM
fast65
5th Gear Member

Eh, it's ok here I guess. Our club has maybe 25 or more members, in the summer we usually have at least one little get together a week, then there's about 5 or 6 cruises during the summer. I'd say it's split about 40/60 between classics/newer, there's a guy that has an original '67 GT500 that he bought new, then he also has a new GT500 to match, there's also a lady that has a '67 vert (I think) and daily drives an 04 Cobra. We don't really do too much car work together though.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:05 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

theres a mustang club here in brunswick, they meet at sonic 1st sat of every month. Ive been by a few times
Old 03-12-2009, 02:02 AM
blueovalboy7
4th Gear Member

I haven't really been actively looking for a club or anything, but I know there are groups around my area. Generally there is a weekly meeting place for anyone with a classic or really any vehicle they want to show off. There are usually a few very knowledgeable people who will chat your ear off if you let them.

(Fridays at Sonic works pretty nicely for most everyone that goes. Everyone backs into the stalls, opens the hood and looks at everyone else's rides) Oh yea, I'm in the Bakersfield, CA area.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:30 AM
Carlos Pineiro
3rd Gear Member

There are probably more classic Mustangs in LA than anywhere else. Why?

1. It only rains 20 days a year here, pretty much all in Feb-March. Cars don't rust here. There's lots of 45 year old cars everywhere.

2. There's no snow or road salt to remove ice and rot cars.

3. Roads are good as a result of the nice weather, so brakes and suspensions last much longer.

4. There's over 11 million vehicles in LA overall, 3 times more vehicles than NYC or any other city in the world. Mustangs are just a % of that number.

CP
Old 03-12-2009, 03:52 AM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Carlos Pineiro
There are probably more classic Mustangs in LA than anywhere else. Why?

1. It only rains 20 days a year here, pretty much all in Feb-March. Cars don't rust here. There's lots of 45 year old cars everywhere.

CP
now that is a damn lie! haha

my car was made in san jose and has always lived in california it some hellish rust problems
Old 03-12-2009, 04:41 AM
blueovalboy7
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 4reboy
now that is a damn lie! haha

my car was made in san jose and has always lived in california it some hellish rust problems
Well that's a horse of a different color. (Pardon the pun) San Jose has a much wetter climate than that of Los Angeles, but nonetheless California cars in general have a bit less rust than most other states. (So I've been told)
Old 03-12-2009, 08:46 AM
SJs 66coupe
4th Gear Member

A friend of mine in the area runs a restoration shop (i.e. that's all he does is hot rods and old cars, no collision work, etc) and he keeps plenty busy restoring old cars in general but he has done a good number of Mustangs.

I was over at his shop last week and he had a '65 vert and a '67 vert in the shop. The '65 they have been working on for a while doing a rotisserie restoration on. He mentioned to me he has another couple of older Mustangs due in pretty soon. I keep telling him if he was open on Saturdays he would have some free help, LOL!

The local 'car club' has a bit of everything in it...new, old, exotic, etc.

There is one guy in the local club though that I was talking with last Saturday night that he and his family showed up with all their Mustangs. He has a '66 vert and a '67 vert, they have several newer Mustangs and he is working on a rotisserie on a either '67 or '68 (can't remember which) fast back.

There is a big Mustang group in town but they meet in Houston and I never have time to drive that far.

I have seen several other older Mustangs running around in my area but never met the folks that own them. There is one I have spotted in the garage here at work several times that looks really nice and is a '66 Coupe like mine.

Last edited by SJs 66coupe; 03-12-2009 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:51 AM
Nick.Simonds
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SJs 66coupe
A friend of mine in the area runs a restoration shop (i.e. that's all he does is hot rods and old cars, no collision work, etc) and he keeps plenty busy restoring old cars in general but he has done a good number of Mustangs.
Restoration shop eh? Info! haha
Old 03-12-2009, 11:23 AM
SJs 66coupe
4th Gear Member

He is up this way on the other side of the freeway from me but I'll p.m. you his contact info if you want.

I went to one local restoration type shop to ask about the floors and the guy told me some outrageous quote near $4k and I pretty much laughed at the guy and told him he was a rip off artist. I wasn't sure he wasn't going to take a swing at me.

But then I met my buddy and got them done for much cheaper. The best part was he was cool with me doing a lot of the work myself and got to learn to weld in the process.

I recently referred a friend to him that has an old Camaro he wants to get repainted, tubed and some other things since he recently came into some inheritance type money.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:58 AM
Nick.Simonds
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SJs 66coupe
He is up this way on the other side of the freeway from me but I'll p.m. you his contact info if you want.
That would be awesome if you could. Thanks

Quick Reply: What is your town's mustang culture?