Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Pretty good deal on aluminum heads

Old 04-24-2009, 09:31 PM
Freudianslipp
1st Gear Member

Thumbs up Pretty good deal on aluminum heads

For all of you that have been following my drama of the blown head gasket, I came across a great deal on assembled heads for small block Fords on Craigslist.
BRAND NEW PRO COMP ALUMINUM SMALL BLOCK FORD HEADS
* 2.02 STAINLESS INTAKE VAVLES
* 1.60 STAINLESS EXHAUST VALVES
* 195 CC INTAKE RUNNERS
* YOUR CHOICE OF COMBUSTION CHAMBER SIZE
* FULLY MACHINED AND READY TO BOLT ON
* CAPABLE OF 600 HP

*799.00 + tax for AZ residents

This shop gets the aluminum castings and machines/assembles them in the shop. From what he told me, it takes about 5 business days. It's a great price for new aluminum heads. I can't find anything close.

Since most of you aren't in AZ, if you are interested, please PM me. If you buy them from him, I can arrange to pick them up and I can get them shipped to you.

Here is the link: http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/pts/1132044812.html

Mike
Old 04-24-2009, 10:20 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

pro comps suck from what ive heard. ive heard nothing good. crappy chinese things
Old 04-24-2009, 10:30 PM
Freudianslipp
1st Gear Member

Wow, after checking out what racin66coupe wrote about these heads, I checked out a LOT of reviews on them online. Apparently, a lot of them do have problems with these heads. I don't think I can pull the entire thread, but I know that I will be finding another head to install...not these.

Thanks for the feedback. I would much rather spend a few hundred more dollars for a good quality head.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:39 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

glad i could help
i still say you should check out RHS, or canfield for aluminum ones
Old 04-24-2009, 10:43 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

check these out http://www.camshaftinnovations.com/SBF170.htm
also look around on his site. hes got some other heads. and camshafts too
Old 04-25-2009, 12:38 PM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

ProComps are less than quality heads. But, if a builder buys bare ProComps and builds them in their shop they become better heads. I purchased a set of assembled ProComp heads but sold them before installing them. I too got cold feet and didn't want to chance it. Personally I wouldn't run them. I've heard many bad things about the quality control issues for their assembled heads. I do have a friend that purchased a set and he loves them. There are much better heads out there. I picked up a good set of TFS heads for $1000 and they included the correct length pushrods.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:25 PM
Freudianslipp
1st Gear Member

After looking around and speaking to a few different people out here (including the owner of a specialty Mustang Shop out here), I am going to go with the GT40 heads that are available locally. I can get them assembled for about the same price as machining my current heads.

I'm running a stock 289, and I'm looking for a cruiser, not something to race with. I just want to be sure that I never have to go through this again. Since I never anticipated this happening (the last rebuild was only 2 years ago from some idiot that needs to be shot), it really blew my budget.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I could have ended up with a disaster.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:42 PM
SJs 66coupe
4th Gear Member

I personally think for a cruiser the GT40's are the better option.

As far as procomps....you can get a good deal on them but I have heard some bad things. Asked a friend who builds cars and he said he has used them a few times with good results and has a friend with a race car that runs them and swears by them so who knows...

I bought the GT40's local because I found a good deal on them myself but after reading some bad things about procomps would likely have stayed away from them myself.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:06 PM
Gary H
4th Gear Member

Which GT40 heads are you looking at?

BTW, the add was removed by the author... :-)

Last edited by Gary H; 04-26-2009 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:01 PM
Freudianslipp
1st Gear Member

Gary,

After speaking with Randy at the Mustang Shop in Chandler (and also John, who I think will be assembling the heads), they are the standard GT40, not the GT40-P. I thiink he said that they came on 93 and newer 5.0 Mustangs.

To be honest, I'm a little over my head on this one, but I'm learning quick. Like I said in one of my earlier posts, I'm running an almost completely stock cruiser. Aluminum heads would have looked great, but I'm not looking to do it for performance purposes.

Hopefully, I'll have my car back in about a week or so.

~Mike

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pretty good deal on aluminum heads