Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Why the hell do "Rally Pac" tach/clocks cost so much? Favorite tach alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 07:28 AM
lunarweasel
4th Gear Member

Default Why the hell do "Rally Pac" tach/clocks cost so much? Favorite tach alternatives?

I imagine it is simply a supply / demand issue, but it is AMAZING how much they cost.

I am considering a few alternatives. I 'm not a huge fan of the standard approach of strapping an aftermarket tach to the steering column, it's not a clean enough look. I like the rally pacs, but they cost too much. Another approach I was considering was the Shelby GT350 center mounted dash pad method.

Thoughts? Thanks!
Old 05-06-2009, 09:38 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

I always thought the hood mount tachs were cool and a popular dealer option in the 60s.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:07 PM
lunarweasel
4th Gear Member

My Uncle's 68 Tempest Vert (400 with a 4 speed) has one. Always loved the look. I'm not to keen on drilling a hole in my mint original hood though. I may seriously look into the Shelby center mounted version.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:38 PM
wumarshall82
2nd Gear Member

I believe a rally pac mounts to the steering column as well. I went with a smaller aftermarket RPM gauge and I think it looks great. I didnt want anything too large taking up a lot of room.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:53 PM
lunarweasel
4th Gear Member

Thanks, I am aware that's where the Rally Pac goes, but it blends in nicely as it was factory designed etc.

I am going to look in to the Shelby style and maybe explore a few column mounted ones. Maybe there is a really good looking one out there.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:24 PM
AlexZi
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by lunarweasel
Thanks, I am aware that's where the Rally Pac goes, but it blends in nicely as it was factory designed etc.

I am going to look in to the Shelby style and maybe explore a few column mounted ones. Maybe there is a really good looking one out there.
I think this one can screw into your dash. Looks nice anyway.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WOW-1...3A1|240%3A1318
Old 05-06-2009, 04:46 PM
Joe67
Banned

Make a rally pac, i forgot where i saw it though
it was Steve, Day, or James, not sure which one though, check their pages.

This was my plan until i learned how to do fiberglass fab work, now im making a custom center console, with molded places for the tach, oil pressure gauge, and maybe vacuum, purely aesthetics though, i'll rarely need a tach with a c4, and there's a oil light, and vacuum is more diagnostics i think.... but hey, chicks dig gauges for some reason.

Last edited by Joe67; 05-06-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:31 PM
lunarweasel
4th Gear Member

Hehe. Unfortunately, I thought of a problem with putting a tach in a center console. Too far to look down. I had considered the same thing (custom console). I still intend to do the console, just no tach there.

Im going to make mine out of mahogany.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:31 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

Search ebay for repop rally pacs about $100 less than retail. Save up if you have to, they are nice options.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:23 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I always wanted a rally-pac. They just cost too much. I would much rather spend the money on something else. I think they should go for 100 bucks tops. One day maybe I will have a rally pack.

I thought about the Shelby tachs, but they aren't any cheaper.

I have this tach, because it has a classic look to it. I also made it light up green instead of white like most aftermarket tachs. That way it matches the other illumination.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/TACHOMETER/...2124_10101.jcw

Quick Reply: Why the hell do "Rally Pac" tach/clocks cost so much? Favorite tach alternatives?