Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Upgrading the stereo 67 GTA

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 04:23 PM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

Default Upgrading the stereo 67 GTA

So over the years my wifes stereo had been up graded and currently has a mid 80's Alpine cassette deck, rear window 2 ways (6x9 or so) and a small amp. She has a 67 couple.

IT IS WAY PAST TIME FOR A COMPLETE STEREO UPGRADE!

Since I can't get a decent deck to fit (we have the center console) I want a 2 din head unit but even more than that we have learned over the years that bouncing sound waves off the rear & front glass and having sound waves bouncing off my ankles, just plain sounds bad! We need an improved location for placement of door speakers and rear speakers.

I am assuming others have either done an install themselves or had a custom install. I would want a head unit that interfaces with our Ipods via touch screen, BUT I really don't care to discuss which head unit is best as most all middle of the line and above will do what we want. I'm looking for info or ideas on mounting speakers and head unit. Pics would be nice!
Because we are used to the Pioneer AVICF900BT Nav/DVD/cam in our Denali chances are pretty good that will be the head unit, but ONLY IF it can be made to fit WITH OUT hacking up the dash/console!
Old 05-13-2009, 11:32 AM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Why dont you get some speaker pods for 5.5in component speakers in the front, just use some 6x9's in the stock location in the rear (or get the raised speaker pod package tray).
Old 05-13-2009, 12:26 PM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

That might work out real well! Would you happen to have a link or two?
Old 05-13-2009, 12:42 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

this is where I got my new speaker pod kick panels from, but the site isn't up anymore (says under construction?) might want to check later...

http://www.mpproductsinaz.com/

if not I know places other than them sell them. Google speaker pod kick panels, and speaker pod package tray, maybe there is one that raises it up and points it outward toward the front.

I also built my own sub enclosure for a 10" sony Xplode that sounds great, put that in the trunk with a tiny amp, just enough to power it to my liking. IMO if you get a good enough head unit you shouldn't need an amp to power the 6x9s, but maybe you do if you're super crazy into audio stuff haha

oh and I would maybe rethink the double din... they are really difficult to get into classics, the only way I've seen it done is to make a custom center console and make an opening for that. Whatever you do I would try to avoid hacking up the dash at all costs, unless someone else has hacked it for you and you have no choice.

(the PO previously hacked up my trap door, so I filled it back in)

and btw my head unit controls an ipod through the headunit itself, its not touch screen but not a bad setup either, especially for the price.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:51 AM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Kick Panels
http://www.mpproductsstore.com/1969-...es-w-spea.html

Package tray..
http://www.mpproductsstore.com/1969-...ckage--tr.html

I have the package tray and it actually looks really nice compared to the cardboard piece of poo that was back there before. Most of the mustang places sell these things too.. Mustangs unlimited, cj pony parts,, Ect..

You may want to line the rear tray with some dyna mat or somthing similar because it is just plastic.. I will when I install the speakers.. For now its just sitting back there waiting for the day.. I agree with 4reboy about the double din radio.. Its pretty big.. However you could get a foldout screen single din, which usually need a seperate amp, but that would be nice if you run your wires to the trunk and then make a amp panel with a sub, or something similar..
Old 05-14-2009, 11:13 AM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

Thanks guys!

And No the dash hasn't been hacked AND I have the center console that is in good shape (It could use a new door) so I am very reluctant to let just any shop mount it and there is not much of a chance I would try it myself!
I guess I could go completely hidden system and use a remote .... and put the stock radio back in for looks. But I'm think we are moving the car towards the retro mod theme anyway. Classics are very nice but we are going to start driving this thing more (almost a daily driver) so it needs some improvements to the 'standard' of 47 years ago!

Thanks alot for the ideas and links!
Old 05-14-2009, 01:11 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

the links boogerschnot posted is the place I was talking about, looks like they changed their domain name. Thats the company that makes those products so it's probably the cheapest prices you'll find, unless you look on ebay

EDIT: these are pretty cool, I always wanted a third brake light to do something different...

http://www.mpproductsstore.com/1968-...d-brake-l.html

for some reason it doesn't say 67 though, is that part different?

Last edited by 4reboy; 05-14-2009 at 01:16 PM.