Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Enlighten me on amps

Old 05-18-2009, 02:56 PM
WildMustang351
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Waffles
No on Xplodes. CRAP. For subs go MTX for speakers go infinity plate speakers.

No on MTX. CRAP. For subs go SOUNDSTREAM for speakers go SOUNDSTREAM
component speakers.They would fit nicely in your new kick panels.

I was thinking of staying on a budget, Since we don't all have that WAFFLES kind of cash laying around......AHHHHHH HAHA GOTCHA!
Old 05-18-2009, 04:26 PM
PReal
5th Gear Member

Wowzer...

Should have posted in the audio section for better advice....

There are actually a couple ways to set this up. The recommendation of a high level input amp is the easiest solution, could also use a high to low level converter that is available at any electronics retailer.

You really can do much better then any of the brands listed previously for less money on the internet.

Stay away from anything sony. It will explode....

MTX is an OK product, but they can be wiped away by the competition...

Infinity speakers offer no midbass (even with plenty of input power) and their tweeters are the harshest of any soft domes I have ever heard. There are aluminum tweets that are smoother then what infinity has to offer.

If you are trying to maintain stock appearence I would not use a seperable mid and tweet. Although components will deliver a better sound if you put a midrange in the kick and tweets in the middle of the dash you will have terrible imaging.

Keep your stereo, stereo and run a decent coax on each kick.

Your alt will keep up fine for a couple hundred watts, I'm running around 400 real watts on a stock alt with no problems. When I put a real stereo in my stang at a later date I will complete the 3G conversion.

Wild 351's list is great in every aspect but the choice of amp and the bass blockers. You can do better for under $175. Bass blockers are not neccessary as essentially any new 4 channel amp you buy will have a high pass crossover.

Also, under the seat of a 65 is pretty tight and I would not run an amp under there. With the flamable material used to stuff the seats, you are asking for a fire on a a hot day.

What is your total budget? (Amp, speakers, etc...)

Would you like a sub?

Have you already purchased anything but the HU?

I'll be more then happy to help you get a great stereo for the money...
Old 05-18-2009, 04:54 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

I do not think anyone has posted this recommendation yet, but I highly recommend DynaMat and DynaPad to help reduce outside sound and heat from affecting the cabin climate. I can hardly hear the radio with DynaMat installed, but I could not tell the radio was on before I installed it . There are knock off brands if you want to spend less $$$, but insulating is a good way of getting more out of your tunes.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:59 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

No on Xplodes.CRAP. For subs go MTX for speakers go infinity plate speakers.
LIES

my friend got me a 10" sony xplod for my birthday and with my custom box it hits hard and sounds great over all. But then again, I'm not one for a lot of bass, especially on a classic car. But when I crank it up it sounds great and scares old people...
Old 05-18-2009, 05:19 PM
WildMustang351
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, Choosing stereo equipment and asking advice on which one is better then another is a dangerous thing to do.
Everyone has an opinion about which one they think is the best and so on.
I personally have had no problems with MTX,SONY,ECLIPSE,AUDIO CONTROL,KENWOOD,SOUNDSTREAM,JL AUDIO,JVC,ROCKFORD FOSGATE and Older HIFONICS.
Some of the units that always gave me troubles were ALPINE,PIONEER,AUDIOVOX,PYLE,KICKER,CLARION,BOSS,C RUNCH,LANZAR,ETC....

PRealBass blockers are not neccessary as essentially any new 4 channel amp you buy will have a high pass crossover.

I was talking about running the tweeters off the head unit's amp not an aftermarket one.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:28 PM
PReal
5th Gear Member

Sound is subjective to a point....

Quality is not.

The new sony equipment is not built to the standard sony once was in the 90's. The new stuff is overrated garbage. If you buy a sony amp, don't expect it to produce its rated power. The same can be said of any lower level amp except for profile. Hifonics are a great value because even though they are overrated from a power standpoint, they produce a great deal of power for the money. Like sony, they have had quality control problems in the last 3-4 years, but overall are still a great value in car audio.

Got you on the bass blockers. I wouldn't want my tweets seeing a 3 db/octive crossover like a bass blocker but it is any easy way to remove some low frequencies.

As a side note: Lanzar of now is garbage, but I would take an old optidrive amp over just about anything new on the market.

It is funny how everyone's opinions affect their recommendations but that the overwhelming majority of educated car audio users develop the same opinions.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:44 PM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

Dude, I LOVE my MTX subs. And Infinity Plate speakers have amazing mids.

I DJ with all MTX stuff, and I have a system that can literally blow a woman's clothes clean off her body.

:-D

Just don't buy whatever WM351 tells you; he is sponsored by those companies for his gear in the gay rodeo.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:45 PM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

Kenwood Excelon is really nice too. I have a Kenwood in dash DVD/GPS head unit in my truck and LOVE it. It replaced a Kenwood Excelon unit I had in prior.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:00 AM
WildMustang351
3rd Gear Member

Double posting WAFFLES ?? Is that like doubling up on your horsey back rides you give for free at the local Gay bar that they crowned you QUEEN of last weekend in honor of the first female horse to win the Kentucky derby in 80 years?

And how did you know about my rodeo clown days any how,they told me those records were sealed.
I have documentation that clearly states,and I quote,"When a new queen of the rodeo is crowned (that would be your new title WAFFLES ) all previous records are sealed"
Just goes to show you that you should never trust a man in a dress that talks with a lisp.

But anywaay, back On topic:If you are using MTX as your main DJ gear wouldn't they be of higher quality then off the shelf stuff you buy at a budjet price any how?

I bet they really pulse and thump and wiggle when you blast "do you really want to hurt me" by the culture club at the strawberry saloon where you DJ. lmao

Luv ya WAFFLES
Old 05-19-2009, 03:09 AM
WildMustang351
3rd Gear Member

Did you ever wonder how WAFFLES met his wife

I DJ with all MTX stuff, and I have a system that can literally blow a woman's clothes clean off her body.
Now you know why he is MTX'S mouth piece.
Score 1 for WAFFLES

I have to agree with you on the Kenwood Excelon! They have some pretty sweet head unit's.

Regardless, Kat is a lucky woman despite his love for MTX...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Enlighten me on amps