Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Lower hose collapse. Does the radiator...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 06:06 AM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

Default Lower hose collapse. Does the radiator...

being restricted cause this? I have had some temp problems that have gotten worse, so I flushed the system, no improvement. Replaced thermostat, which was a 160 that only fully opened at 185-190 and burped the system again. No real improvement again.
I checked the engine with the cap off the radiator and watched the lower hose as I revved the engine a bit. I would dramatically collapse on itself. I bought a Flex hose with the spring, took the radiator out and flushed it with a garden hose every which way, figuring it was gunked up.

I replaced the lower hose, only to find that I should have trimmed about an inch off each end and saw the hose kink... so off it came again. I trimmed it and it fit nicely with a nice arc from the pump to the outlet of the Rad. Started it up and it was better, but the hose still kinked a bit at the bend. I drove it and the needle stayed right in the middle, maybe a bit lower, but it was a short drive and now I don't trust it. I had a radiator cap temp gauge on it a few days ago, but I didn't like the way it worked with my overflow tank. So I do know that right around the middle of the gauge is about 190 at the radiator. Not bad, but if the hose collapses I know it will climb, so I want to fix what's causing it.

Can I with any certainty narrow it down to the radiator? Could I remove it again and let it sit with either a Flush in it or maybe CLR? Since it's on the brink of being reliable? Maybe I should just buy a new repalcement and save the headache, not to mention the Anti-Freeze!!!
Old 05-26-2009, 06:30 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

I would put some water wetter in it it helps some.You gotta remember this is a older car they ran hotter then cars do now.Check the shroud around the fan is it tight to the radiator.Your next steps are new radiator and i would put electric fans on it they cool better.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:32 AM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
I would put some water wetter in it it helps some.You gotta remember this is a older car they ran hotter then cars do now.Check the shroud around the fan is it tight to the radiator.Your next steps are new radiator and i would put electric fans on it they cool better.
It has a Derale electric fan on it. I know these engines run hotter, but the unpredictable spikes I could do without. Having the lower hose collapse during acceleration can't be normal so I would like to cure that. I am pointing the finger at the radiator and hoping that someone would confirm that before I spend more money chasing my tail. LOL
Old 05-26-2009, 04:18 PM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

That is the suction side of the radiator and as the engine revs it can create quite a bit of suction. The hose needs a spring to keep it from collapsing and if yours is installed properly should work fine unless there is a restriction in the radiator or beyond. Do you have the bypass hose installed on the water neck? If so, it does sound like the radiator is blocked.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:05 PM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

I was seeing the collapse while the cap was off the radiator leading me to believe that the radiator is the culprit. I am going to try filling the radiator (off the car) with Muriatic acid. At this point I have nothing to lose and I should be good just as long as I don't let it sit there too long. I have read where dry dishwashing detergent is also a good way to flush the "whole" cooling system. At this point I may have to buy a new radiator, so why not give the acid a try.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:15 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

you can buy a radiator flush from the parts store
Old 05-26-2009, 05:20 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I suppose that in theory, a blocked radiator could cause the bottom hose to colapse...

I had never really thought about it before.

I would think that the cap is probably not working right also.

If the system were pressurizing correctly once hot, the pressure would keep the hose from colapsing on itself. (and if air was not geting back in the hose would colapse as the coolant cooled off. )
Old 05-26-2009, 07:14 PM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rmodel65
you can buy a radiator flush from the parts store
I have already tried that and it was anemic at best.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:26 PM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JMD
I suppose that in theory, a blocked radiator could cause the bottom hose to colapse...

I had never really thought about it before.

I would think that the cap is probably not working right also.

If the system were pressurizing correctly once hot, the pressure would keep the hose from colapsing on itself. (and if air was not geting back in the hose would colapse as the coolant cooled off. )
My theory is this: If you have the cap off the radiator and pulled a vacuum from the lower hose wouldn't you easily pull the coolant from the radiator? I liken it to sucking in through a straw when it's open ended and then place your finger on the end and the same suction will cause the straw to collapse.
I know the cooling system work under pressure, but having a restriction placed in it's path can't let it operate normally.
The original hose was like a taco when it pulled upon itself. I thought "bingo" There's the problem.
The cap works fine no leaks and pulls from the overflow tank and spits it back when needed.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:11 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Mainly,,,, Mark is right,,, the bottom hose should have a spring in it....

Put a spring in the hose,,,, no more problem... Ta-Da!!

Quick Reply: Lower hose collapse. Does the radiator...