Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Scam or no scam, what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 10:59 AM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

Default Scam or no scam, what do you think?

I know what I think!

I recently placed an ad on Craigslist to sell the 6 cylinder and c4 tranny in my 67 Mustang for $300. Here is a series of email from "David Richardson". BTW, I haven't seen his payment, yet:

is it still available ? please let me know ,thanks

David
------------
David,

Yes it is and still in the car, so you can hear it run.

Mark
------------
Hi,
Thanks for the response. I am willing to pay you $300 ,let me know if you will accept payment with Money order as it's the only way i can pay you at the moment. I would have loved to come take a look but i am presently out of town on an assignment. and I am willing to add $20 so that you can keep it in my favor because I will not be back in town soon.
Please reply with your full name, cell phone number, and address where payment should be sent. I will let you know how I intend to go about the pick-up. Please take the posting off Craig list today and consider it sold to me.
Expecting to hear from you soon. David Richardson
----------
David,

In that case, it is yours. Please make it a U.S. Postal Money Order (available in any U.S. post office). Send it to:

Mark Reid
(my work address and telephone number)

Also, let me know if you want to hear it run or if i should pull it out of the car.

Mark
----------
Hi Mark,
I hope you are fine and alright. I have been busy myself but doing great. There is something I think I must bring to your notice.
After a reconciliation of my account, I discovered that somehow my assistant must have over paid you. The payment that was meant for another transaction was sent to you and the one meant for you was sent to another; however I want to believe I won’t have a problem with you.
Please once you receive your payment, I will like you to deduct your money and send the remaining via western union to the shipping company that will help me with the pick-up. I will ask them to contact you as soon as possible .Let me know
as soon as you get your payment.
Warm regards. David Richardson

And there we have it. What do you think, yes, scam!
Old 06-05-2009, 12:25 PM
03BottleFedGT
3rd Gear Member

sounds like a scam to me
Old 06-05-2009, 12:33 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

BIG TIME SCAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also, a very popular scam.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:37 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Do you even need to ask us? total classic scam, "I over paid you but you need to forward the difference to this company on my behalf" It's never, send it back to ME but to some third party.

What normally happens is that they "make a deposit" and you being the honest Joe do your part diligently and expediently getting the money to them ASAP. Then two weeks later your bank removes the money from your account because the money order was fake and you are left with less money than you started with because your bank tacks on fees.

Don't bother.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:09 PM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

Yeah....classic scam. Tell him that you will have to wait 6 to 8 weeks for the money to clear the bank before you can forward his "extra". I'd also tell him that you'll hold it until he is "back in town" as you don't like to deal with 3rd parties, bu if some else b uy it first....he's out of luck.

On anothter note, I think these people are more after your info than they are the money. Can you say identity theft?
Old 06-05-2009, 01:15 PM
SJs 66coupe
4th Gear Member

total scam.

I was already thinking scam when he was paying with a money order but was "out of pocket" and saying "Please take the posting off Craig list today and consider it sold to me." That must be in the f*ck head scammers training manual or something. I was selling something a while back and had some yo-yo claim he was too busy to meet and pay in cash and wanted the items I was selling shipped and literally wrote the whole "take the posting off..." deal word for word.

In my case, I wrote back and told him cash or take a hike.

Last edited by SJs 66coupe; 06-05-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:46 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I stopped reading at "money order" and then "loved one"....

I don't need to see anymore...

IMO 99.9% SCAM....
Old 06-05-2009, 03:45 PM
jonward786
3rd Gear Member

I would have loved to come take a look but i am presently out of town on an assignment.

^^This sentence is where i knew it was a scam. you do not go out of town on an "assignment", you are not james bond, lol
Old 06-05-2009, 03:54 PM
fast65
5th Gear Member

This guy sounds legit to me, you should send him the money back.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:12 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

hahaha

Quick Reply: Scam or no scam, what do you think?