Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Exterior Door Handle replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 12:15 AM
Freudianslipp
1st Gear Member

Default Exterior Door Handle replacement

OK, I know that this is probably something that's real easy for all of you who have had your cars for awhile, but before I screw things up too much, I thought I'd check in for some help since I've only owned my car for about 4 months.

I am trying to replace my exterior door handles (mine are old and pitting). I removed the window handle, the inner door handle and the inside door panel (the pressed board stuff in the center of the door). In order to be able to see the mechanism where the exterior door handle is located, I have to take off the rest of the door panel (the piece that goes around the perimeter on the outside of the pressed board stuff). I started removing all the nuts I could find, but then my window mechanism started falling down and I became a littler nervous that I was going to screw it up.

What will I need to do to take off the rest of the door panel so that I can access the screws to the exterior door handle?

Thanks for anyone who can help out.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:19 AM
03BottleFedGT
3rd Gear Member

its all one piece
Old 07-01-2009, 10:32 AM
Freudianslipp
1st Gear Member

Mine is definitely not all one piece. There is the center panel (the pressed board stuff) and the remainder is made of metal. I have the center part off, but don't want to do something wrong to when I'm trying to take off the rest of it.

Maybe a better way to ask the question is to just ask what are all the steps I need to do to replace the outer door handles.

Thanks
Old 07-01-2009, 02:12 PM
Freudianslipp
1st Gear Member

I just went down to a local Mustang shop and saw an exploded view of the door. I misunderstood what you said, when you wrote that it was all one piece. I didn't know that the inner door shell and outer door shell were one piece and that it was only the door panel that came off.

It makes a lot more sense now.

Thanks for your help.

Mike
Old 07-01-2009, 07:04 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

One screw in the door jamb. One nut at the small (front) end of the handle on the inside of the door. Its best to have the window rolled down with a drop light on the door so you can see what is going on. Use a 1/4" drive ratchet to break the nut lose, then you should be able to twist it off with your fingers.

There is also the actuator rod, it has a small clip holding it in. The clip has a round head on it that goes round the rod where it goes through the handle, the other end is clipped onto the rod itself down just a bit. Looks like a couple small tangs. The clip sould stay with the handle or the latch depending on which end you pull.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:29 AM
Freudianslipp
1st Gear Member

Thank you very much!