Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Finally! My 68 vert project.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 09:33 AM
quikturbo
1st Gear Member

Well, doing a bit here and there. Got the cowl off, WOW, she was in bad shape lol. I have the new upper and lower. I have the front end parts as well to start to do the aprons', one full frame rail and one "patch" rail. All new suspension coming as well.

I've taken a good amount of measurements for the frame rail locations, anyone have some reference points I should be sure to take measurements from?

As for braking, still undecided on front disc conversion as if I do those, then I'll have to do the rears to make both 5 lug, if I want matching wheels

anyways, here are a couple pics of more teardown

test fitting TMI seat covers
Old 07-30-2009, 10:11 AM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

At least the rear seatback looks good..
Old 07-30-2009, 12:16 PM
quikturbo
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by boogerschnot
At least the rear seatback looks good..
LOL, I think that's why I did it. I needed something to motivate me hahahah
Old 09-13-2009, 03:50 PM
quikturbo
1st Gear Member

just thought I would update my thread with some progress pics.

mocking up front frame rails before I put in the new firewall

I'm now going to replace the full floor with a new 1pc instead of just patching (previous "restorer" if thats what you can call them) and they simply laid the panels over rusted metal, it infected the new metal . I'm also doing new over axle transition to the trunk, new rear frame rails, tail panel and trunk panels. I'm in there and I figure since I'm going to own this car for a VERY long time I might as well do it right.

I've been watching some local forums and craigslist for a 9" or 8.8" rear, and a 302 or 351.

I have to say, while this project has been frustrating, challenging,etc.. it's been SO rewarding.

I've been trying to figure out and learn about painting/priming and have a LOT to learn. I have a set of Devilbiss guns to use. If anyone can point me to some educational threads/info I would really appreciate it. I guess the most confusing part to me is priming, as I go along and do body/sheetmetal work, i don't want it to start to rust so i am priming with a rattlecan, should I then spray with a good epoxy primer when complete? i know that metal won't be seen so it's not as critical to be perfect but i want it all uniform.

Any recommended brands of primer? My local supply store pushes DuPont lines

Sorry, rambling a bit just excited and looking ahead while I consume all this new info.

Chris
Old 09-13-2009, 05:04 PM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

Awesome man I'm excited about this too Good work!! Major improvement!
Old 09-14-2009, 08:05 AM
69FB
4th Gear Member

There are DVD's, I can't remember the title, for doing paint with the new stuff. It was in one of my Mustang Monthly magazines (I'll look for it later since I have to go to work now) on using the new paints and painting techniques. From what I've heard Dupont is a good brand to use for the epoxy primers and the paint. It depends though if you're going to go with the original paint or do a two stage (base, clear).

That convertible is looking great.

And if you need more motivation I have a friend that bought a 67 vert for a lot when they blasted it there was so much rust they started with 2 frame rails and are building the car from the ground up (obviously not going stock on anything).

Good luck and keep us posted.

I'll look for the name of the DVD's and post them this evening.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:11 AM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

If you are using rattle cans just to protect until you can prime properly, then fine. I would use a metal etching primer in a rattle can and then scuff it down to bare metal when you are ready to lay on a good (Dupont) epoxy primer. Epoxy primer bonds tightly to metal and you can lay body filler right over it, ensuring no rust forms under it.

I have a 67 convertible that has similar rust issues and I have a similar plan for this winter. Good luck, here are a couple of pictures of mine:

Old 09-14-2009, 07:06 PM
69FB
4th Gear Member

Okay found it. The Mustang Monthly Magazine I mentioned was the August issue.

The program I was talking about that they mentioned was Kevin Tetz's Paintucation series for painting a car. It is a video series that you might find helpful.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:48 PM
flickjo68
1st Gear Member

Fakesnakes, That garage is nicer than my whole house!
Quik, progress looks great, I dont think I would have the guts to take it all on. Keep it up and keep posting progress. Also, love the car in the video, Badass...
Old 09-14-2009, 08:20 PM
quikturbo
1st Gear Member

Canary94gt- Thank you! It is one of the most exciting things I've taken on and to be able to tell people "I did this myself" is the most rewarding feeling.

69FB - thank you very much for getting that info, I will absolutely check it out. I'm obviously a ways off from that stage, but I feel like a sponge right now so i might as well collect all the necessary info early to prepare.

fakesnake - yours is a real BEAUTY!!!! looks like she's in pretty decent shape too! Is the rust hiding, because it looks pretty clean in those pics. And thanks for the tips on the primer part. I just needed some validation on my thought process

flickjo68 - LOL, that is by far one of the cleanest garages i've seen hahahah, a perfect home for his stang.
I will absolutely keep this thread going with updates. Thanks for the compliments on the video of my old car. I have a love for inline 6's However I think this mustang will be getting a 351w.

Chris

Quick Reply: Finally! My 68 vert project.