Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

can i make my 66 handle and outperform a new gt

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 07:55 PM
tempoffroad
2nd Gear Member

Default can i make my 66 handle and outperform a new gt

i have a 66 and i have money to spend but i wanted to know that if i put 10k in breaks suspension wheels and such will it handle as well or better than a new gt. i just hate to have it set in my mind how i want it to perform and then be let down if i cant even stay with my a new gt
Old 07-17-2009, 08:53 PM
JamesW

10K?..hmmm that would be a close number cost wise to install a complete new front and rear suspension to match a new GT. Complete coil over, rack and pinion, big rotored brakes, new 4 link rear suspension...etc...
Old 07-17-2009, 08:57 PM
Gun Jam

yeah with that and performance tires you should be on par. Im not sure what its going to do weight wise but in the end it should really stick well.

-Gun
Old 07-17-2009, 09:18 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

With some creative thinking and picking the right parts it shouldnt be too tough. Stiffen the chassis, get the front suspension working better with a UCA drop, progressive springs, sway bars, roller perches, and a rack and pinion wouldnt hurt either. All new bushings, preferably in polyurethane, and double adjustable shocks. Tires make a big difference, but no need to go to 18"+ rims and huge brakes. Overkill is nice, but making things work together will benefit you more and cost you less.

Doing the work yourself will save cash too. Suspension work isnt difficult or special, but it is dirty and unglamorous..
Old 07-17-2009, 09:34 PM
tempoffroad
2nd Gear Member

yea 10k may be a little much but the last vehicle that i did suspension work on had fox dual rate coilovers all the way around with air bumps and that was 3k gone right their, adjustable molly links with heim joints and it starts to add up. i just didnt want to start spending lots and not be happy with the end result. The last one i did was for offroad and worked awsome but its 2 different animals. and yes i will be doing all the work. if i can do it cheaper that is great i think that i am still use to spending 2k just for tires.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:41 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

http://www.maxgsystems.com/presenter...aspx?Id=104557 or http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/fcoc-fd.html and http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/rpss_fd.html brakes depends if you keep your factory spindle or not if you do http://www.mustangsteve.com/cobrabrakes.html or wilwood.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:59 PM
tempoffroad
2nd Gear Member

thanks for posting those links that suspension system was bad a$$
Old 07-22-2009, 01:16 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

There was a better 3 link but the company went under dodgestang has one of there's tho.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:57 AM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

theres a company thats on the tip of my tongue but i cant think about it. they have something like 3 different choices from street to all out race. real quality stuff, but really pricy as well. ill try to think of the guys

edit: griggs racing
http://www.griggsracing.com/index.php?cPath=4332_4308

Last edited by racin66coupe; 07-22-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:53 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Things that would need to be done.

1. Rack and Pinion Steering
2. Coil Over Rearend, four link
3. Front and Rear Sway Bars
4. Front Suspension UCA drop, springs, roller perches
5. Baer or Wilwood large rotors and multi-piston calipers
6. Large diameter wheels to house the large rotors
7. Sub-frame connectors to stiffen chassis
8. Good set of tires like street tires like Nittos

With all of that, you should be close to the handling performance, but I have no idea what it would cost for the parts...I would guess around $10-12k for good stuff without the wheels and tires.

Now horsepower and torque are a different story. You can do all of this, but if you are running a stocker 289 you are not going to be planting much power.

Quick Reply: can i make my 66 handle and outperform a new gt