Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Car Show Classes

Old 07-23-2009, 10:13 PM
bsrepellant

Default Car Show Classes

Another stupid question.. At car shows, how much variance is given to the Original class? If the car is repainted does that mean it can not be in that class? Even putting power disc brakes on. Just curious because I was at a show that was judging but didn't know which class to put it in. I didn't expect to win anything.. Just went for the show..

Any car show judges out there?
Old 07-23-2009, 10:25 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

What you should do is when you get there and ask someone at the registration table what they would suggest.

If it is repainted the original color I would still consider it original.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:29 PM
JamesW

It is totally dependent on the show. IF you're going to an MCA sanctioned show, the rules are very specific. otherwise, each show does it's own thing.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:43 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Original is a tough call. Paint is a maybe. I doubt any old car is really all original. Do they have the original muffler and tailpipe, battery, alternator, spark plugs, etc. No chance. I call mine original because all the body parts are original and so is the chrome, trim, engine and the interior. The paint is new (factory color) but the fenders certainly have plenty of patches.

There is no class in an MCA show in which my car could be entered. It is not concours. It is not restored and it is not original by their definition.

Last edited by HGC; 07-23-2009 at 11:55 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:03 AM
Nabster
3rd Gear Member

As far as I'm concerned, 'original' would mean the car for all intents and purposes looks and functions as original. You could have a few minor things changed (new paint, different wheels/tires [as these are easily changed], etc.) and still be considered original in my eyes. Of course, I'm not a concours or MCA judge; but as far as most local shows would be concerned, I would call it original if it's as I stated.

Obviously there is a difference between a restored and original car versus an original and unrestored car, and that may or may not result in a different class depending on the specific show. Just ask whomever is putting it on.

A restomod could be anything from a restoration with modernization of the drivetrain and/or appearance, to a complete custom job.

For what it's worth, I say that my car is restored to be as original as possible while having some modern upgrades [carb, intake, electronic ignition, exhaust, radio, etc.]. If you look at my car without opening the hood, the only difference between it and one straight from the factory is a modern radio and speakers on the package tray. Under the hood the only difference is the electronic ignition.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:16 AM
JamesW

For example...at next week's Austin, Tx Mustang show, here is the criteria for original/restored.

Original/Restored Class: Generally, vehicles entered into the Original/Restored Class are not restricted from limited modification
such as aftermarket wheels, replaced engines, chrome components (e.g. valve covers air cleaners etc). However, such changes must
be consistent with wheel diameters/styles, fuel induction systems, and engine types typically available during those model years. As
an example, fuel injection, overhead cam engines and 5 speed/AOD transmissions were never offered for the 65 through 73 model
Mustangs. Three or more such modifications would instead make the car eligible for the Modified Class and the car’s owner will
be encouraged to change. Should the entrant decline reclassification, the judging result must, of necessity, reflect that the vehicle is
not in compliance with class rules.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:04 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Good info James. I would consider my car a Modified Class car, but according to those rules and how I have done my restomoding, it might be considered an Original/Restored Class car in the Austin show. Too bad I have the engine apart right now...I never have everything working for the Austin show.

Question...Would these changes constitute a modification
1. MSD electronic ignition, Coil, and Dizzy
2. Aluminum Radiator
3. 3" Exhaust
4. Electric fuel pump and regulator
5. Aftermarket A pillar gauges
6. Long tube headers
7. 15" wheels and tires
8. Aluminum Heads
9. Aluminum Intake

Last edited by urban_cowboy; 07-24-2009 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:44 AM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by honeygoldcoupe
Original is a tough call. Paint is a maybe. I doubt any old car is really all original. Do they have the original muffler and tailpipe, battery, alternator, spark plugs, etc. No chance. I call mine original because all the body parts are original and so is the chrome, trim, engine and the interior. The paint is new (factory color) but the fenders certainly have plenty of patches.

There is no class in an MCA show in which my car could be entered. It is not concours. It is not restored and it is not original by their definition.
I'd say a classic car can be all original, pretty much except for its battery since it goes bad on a time scale, rather than distance scale.

There are classic cars that have been driven less than 3000 miles, some even less than 50.

But on a realistic scale, anything above that and you may need to start replacing parts or fixing things like paint.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:55 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JamesW
For example...at next week's Austin, Tx Mustang show, here is the criteria for original/restored.

Original/Restored Class: Generally, vehicles entered into the Original/Restored Class are not restricted from limited modification
such as aftermarket wheels, replaced engines, chrome components (e.g. valve covers air cleaners etc). However, such changes must
be consistent with wheel diameters/styles, fuel induction systems, and engine types typically available during those model years. As
an example, fuel injection, overhead cam engines and 5 speed/AOD transmissions were never offered for the 65 through 73 model
Mustangs. Three or more such modifications would instead make the car eligible for the Modified Class and the car’s owner will
be encouraged to change. Should the entrant decline reclassification, the judging result must, of necessity, reflect that the vehicle is
not in compliance with class rules.
So out of simple curiosity, where should/would you end up if you did only one or two such modifications? On the surface, you have a car that's clearly not within the spirit of an original restoration, but don't exactly fall into the stated definition of eligibility for Modified either.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 07-24-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:35 PM
bsrepellant

Originally Posted by BA Mustang
What you should do is when you get there and ask someone at the registration table what they would suggest.

If it is repainted the original color I would still consider it original.

Unfortunately the registration booth had a couple of girls that did not know. (I had asked about the 'original' and 'restored' class and they could not help me. Since I changed to disc brakes I put it in 'restored' class. When the judge stopped by, he said I should have been in the 'original'. The show didn't cost me anything so I wasn't concerned about winning anything. I was just there to show it off. I did get extra points for the bench seat though.. :-) He did give me suggestions on what needs to be changed to get better scores.. I think I am going to start working on those now for next summer.

Thanks for all the replies...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car Show Classes