Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Holy Balls! Brake Cleaner Can KILL You...

Old 07-26-2009, 02:16 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Default Holy *****! Brake Cleaner Can KILL You...

Check this **** out....

Scarry,,,

I have a few cans of brake cleaner in my garage and a welder....

Trippy...

http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm

Old 07-26-2009, 03:09 AM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Wow, just wow. It's surprising how lax we become with things we deal with everyday we forget how deadly or damaging they can be.

I'm guilty of that too. I forget sometimes at my work that I deal with billions of dollars of equipment and tons RF radiation and hazardous voltage everyday. Just something I became used to and desensitized to.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:08 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

The USAF drilled safety stuff into my head, also I was one of the safety NCOs for my unit the entire time I was a Sargent. Also working in a factory between enlistments had me reading the MSDS trying to figure out why I was having trouble breathing, ended up leaving that job before it killed me. So lets just say I have read a bunch of MSDS and I am sometimes too careful about things like this. Of course with what can happen, maybe its worth the extra time I spend even if there isnt a danger.

I wonder how many here have no idea what MSDS is....
Old 07-26-2009, 03:21 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Manufactures S....
Old 07-26-2009, 03:22 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Ahh being the Safety NCO, luckily I have never had the joy to get that additional duty.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:36 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JMD
Manufactures S....
Material Safety Data Sheet- MSDS

Lynn
Old 07-26-2009, 04:40 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by remicks
Wow, just wow. It's surprising how lax we become with things we deal with everyday we forget how deadly or damaging they can be.
True.. But he almost got a Darwin award for his stupidity as this guy was doing stuff with a product that wasn't meant to be done with, you gotta expect problems.
Lynn
Old 07-26-2009, 05:30 PM
Carlos Pineiro
3rd Gear Member

Talking

Originally Posted by JMD
Holy *****! Brake Cleaner Can KILL You...
Fine. Now that the word is out, some terrorist is going to set aisle 3 on fire at Auto-Zone.

Thanks.

CP
Old 07-26-2009, 07:11 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by remicks
Ahh being the Safety NCO, luckily I have never had the joy to get that additional duty.
It wasnt so bad other than having to do a form 55 on everyone when they came into the shop, and doing them over and over every few months. Checking the fire extinguishers, writing reports of mishaps, training on my days off, all sorts of stuff. I always had 8 or 9 extra duties, I think they made some up just for me.

The worst extra duty I had was CWD shelter team in Germany in the late 80s and early 90s. I learned to run the decon lines, decon all sorts of equipment, operate, repair and change filters in the SCIPS and shelters, and had NBC (nuke, biological, chemical) training twice per month. I was on the shelter team for my unit (night shift during the exercise) shelter team for the Security Forces Squadron (dayshift during the exercise) and on the Base Decontamination Team. For base decon they would pull me from the shelter, make me wear full MOPP4 for ten hours or so and practice spraying water on hummers, light carts, and planes. So for the week long exercises I would maybe sleep for 2 or 3 hours, because I was always headed to another place for another shift.

No I dont really miss the Air Force anymore, I never got enough sleep, stupid wars in the desert. Actually I think I slept better when deployed or in Korea, except for the 01 trip to Kuwait.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:25 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LynnBob Mustang
True.. But he almost got a Darwin award for his stupidity as this guy was doing stuff with a product that wasn't meant to be done with, you gotta expect problems.
Lynn
Not knowing, I have used brake cleaner to clean lots of stuff....

It is an EXCELLENT cleaner, I have used it extensively in engine assembly. It would not have been any kid of a stretch for me to use this stuff as a cleanup solvent prior to welding something...

Up until now I thought of it as just another solvent....

I wont be using it anymore, it is going out of my shop and garage for good.

Too freaking dangerous for me...

GONE...

Last edited by JMD; 07-27-2009 at 11:44 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Holy Balls! Brake Cleaner Can KILL You...