Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Is this a good deal or a large problem waiting to happen?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 07:33 PM
backthen
1st Gear Member

Default Is this a good deal or a large problem waiting to happen?

http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/1293428037.html
Old 07-28-2009, 08:21 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Drum brakes front and rear? I thought the Mach came with at least front discs.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:27 AM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Looks like its all still together and the interior, though dirty, seems like its in pretty good shape.. I would definately go check it out in person though with maybe $5,000 cash and offer it up just to see what happens. Check the under carriage to see how much rust this guy is actually talking about and look for rust bubbles in the normal places.. You could check the cowl too with a bucket of water to see if its leaking. And it runs so I would take it around the block a couple of times to see how the motor is.. If it does run the way he says and seems healthy then go for it!
Old 07-29-2009, 02:04 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by remicks
Drum brakes front and rear? I thought the Mach came with at least front discs.
that's what I was going to say, you will want to check the VIN# to be sure it's a real Mach 1, Mach 1's came with front disc brakes, however they were some mach 1's that were optioned to keep the drums on there for some reason. There was a guy on here before that a winter blue 428 cj mach 1 that had drums all the way around on his car.

It's also weird that his marti report said that it came with a 351w, i was under the impression all 70 mach's came with the cleveland, even the early model ones. If you check it out ask to see the marti report, it will show if it is a real mach and whatnot as long as the correct vin was used.

That seems like a reasonable price though, it probably needs a lot of work. He already admitted to floors, quarters, trunk floor, and "other parts", which could mean frame rails, cowl, fender aprons, or who knows.

My dad and I checked out a similar 70 mach 1, they wanted 10k for it but it had rust on the fender lips, floors were gone, and the frame looked iffy but it might have just been surface rust. Also the engine and tranny was not in the car. My dad was not going to pay more than 7k for it, and even that wouldn't have been a great deal.

Another thing to consider is the fact that 70's are not worth quite as much as 69's, at least thats what the market has decided. Just check for all the rust problems, see how well the driveline works, and make a decision for what YOU are willing to pay. The price this guy is asking seems realistic and a good starting point to make a deal.

Just my .02