Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Mustang Project Car: Is this price reasonable?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 10:42 AM
Bravo

Default Mustang Project Car: Is this price reasonable?

Sooo....

I've been looking around for a mustang project car. My dad and I would like to have something to work on during the weekends. We know a bit about cars, but not a ton. Assembly is fine, but significant body work is going to put us back, since we simply cannot do it.

I found an ad online for a Mustang that goes like this:

1966 Ford Mustang Rust Free Project, matching numbers, 289 four spd., new: black int., bumpers, emblems, tires, 410 gears, clutch kit, SS brake lines, ball joints, coil springs, tir rods, brakes, spring kits, wheel cyl., wheel bearings, hooker headers, American Thunder exhaust. California car, re-built 289, still at machine shop w/warr. MSD ignition, too much new to list. $8,000 firm. Needs assembly, asking price is just for new parts.

Here are the two pictures attached to the ad:

I haven't taken the drive to check it out yet. My main question is: Does a price of $8,000 seem reasonable? I know it says firm, but I'd probably try to talk him down a bit regardless.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-14-2009, 01:18 PM
Nabster
3rd Gear Member

If it is rust free, and the work done properly, I can see that being reasonable. The 4.10 gearing seems a bit steep, but from the looks it was going to be a hotrod, so that's about right I suppose. Keep in mind you'll probably need at least 2 grand more to buy parts it still needs, then the cost of paint which can be from about $2-3000 for a good basic job up to however much you want to go.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:15 PM
Bravo

Yeah, that's what I was wondering. The 4.10 rear had me wondering, but the American Thunder combo kinda shows where he was planning on going with it.

I figured it needed a paint job, which I might be able to get done for the cost of paint alone. I have no idea what else it'll need for parts, but I'm sure it'll be $1000-2000 worth.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bravo
but the American Thunder combo kinda shows where he was planning on going with it.
How so?

This seems way too much for what is STILL a coupe. a Fastback in this condition would be worth it, but I would pay $8000 for a RESTORED coupe.

I'd pass, but I tend to be a little singier than most of this site, I think.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:15 PM
Bravo

Yeah, I hear you waffles. We're starting to think that we can do a bit better. I might toss him a low offer, and let him take it or leave it.

What I was trying to say about the AT Exhaust and 4.10 Rear was that I figured with a non-stock combo of gears and loud exhaust, he wasn't going for stock but rather a more hot rod project.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:56 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

If you want to pay $8000 for an unfinished project, I can let you have an unfinished one for about $5000 and its a fastback...

That is probably how much he has in it after farming out all the work that has been done.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:05 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Too much money for a coupe that is apart.If you know where to look and wait you can get a rust free driving couple for 4 grand or less.If im spending 8k on a coupe it better be a running car and have a lot in it or a fastback.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:34 AM
Bravo

Yeah, I guess the price is a bit high.

I'm probably going to toss him an offer that he'll be forced to refuse (6-7K). Who knows...in this economy he might think about it, but I don't know anything about his financial situation.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:16 AM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

A '66 coupe that you can't start the engine, can't drive and needs reassembly? I wouldn't pay more than $5k.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:59 AM
camarozz

Originally Posted by fakesnakes
A '66 coupe that you can't start the engine, can't drive and needs reassembly? I wouldn't pay more than $5k.
+1

I bought my complete car for 8k, new paint, new interior, NO rust or cancer, stock condition. Started and drove off with it.

5k would be more than fair price for a project like that, assuming no cancer or other major problems.

Quick Reply: Mustang Project Car: Is this price reasonable?