Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Classic Mustangs (Tech) > Classic Mustang General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 09-25-2009, 10:51 AM   #1
1stGenMustangLover

Vehicle: TBD
Default 1968 302 "J" Code Confusion

The current mustang that I'm looking into is a "J" code 302-4V.

According to my copy of the Mustang Recognition Guide "At the beginning of the 1968 production year, the 289 4-barrel and the 289 High Performance were dropped from the Mustang powerteam selection, and replaced with a brand new 302 4-barrel. The 289 2-barrel lasted until mid-year before being replaced by the 302 2-barrel. Two high performance engines were offered for the 1968 Mustang: a 302 High Performance and a 390 horsepower 427 - both were very limited production."

As far as I can figure, the 289 4-barrel and the 289 High Performance are the 1967 "A" and "K" codes, respectively. And these codes did not appear in 1968 so the first sentence seems to make sense.

The 289 2-barrel was the "C" code in both 1967 and 1968 so the second sentence also seems to make sense.

But the third sentense is a bit confusing because the only 302 4-barrel code that I can determine is the "J" code. I cannot find a code for a High Performance 302 in 1968 -- like the famous 289 4-barrel "K" code.

So:
1) was there really a High Performance "K" code equivalent 302 4-barrel?
2) or are they really talking about the 390 4-barrel "S" code and just typed 302 instead of 390?

Also, does anyone know how many "J" codes were built in 1968 vs the other engines?

Any help would be most appreciated...These Ford production quirks are maddening :-)
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
1stGenMustangLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:42 AM   #2
LCC
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 68 Fastback, J code

There was a 302, 306 HP (HI PRO) option available with a 4 sd manual trans only. It was only an option for "sedan Racing" (what ever that means). I don't have an option code on my sheet for it but it is listed for special racing applications. So I would assume that it could not be ordered from a dealership. So the only 302, 4brl, 230 HP available is "J" code.

NEVER DRIVE FASTER THEN YOUR GURDIAN ANGEL CAN FLY...
LCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:54 AM   #3
1stGenMustangLover

Vehicle: TBD

Thanks for the quick reply...Interesting stuff.
Although the car I'm looking at is a convertible with factory 4-speed ("5") and 3.00 limited slip ("E"), I would really doubt it is a "sedan racing" edition. And the Marti report doesn't mention the "GT Equipment Group" either so I was figuring it was just a nicely optioned car.
I love these forums -- always great help.
1stGenMustangLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:54 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1968, 302, 4v, build, code, codes, convertible, coupe, date, engine, ford, j, motor, mustang, sale, speed