Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

72 Mach 1 - Is she worth saving?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 06:47 PM
tx-skydiver
1st Gear Member

Default 72 Mach 1 - Is she worth saving?

Ok folks. Here's the deal. My kid was driving along a country road and saw a blue object in a field. He thought it was a mustang similar to the one I am restoring (72 Mach 1). I went to see and sure enough it was. Too far to see from the road but it was definitely a 71-73 model fastback.

I left a note for owner and received a call today. I went to look. She tells me that it belonged to her ex-husband. When he left, he did not want the car. He had it only 2 years and it never moved from that spot from the day they dumped it off of the trailer. Oh. They divorced 25 years ago which means that the car has been sitting in this field for 27 years. The car is now buried in the Earth all the way to its frame.

The inside:
I could only get one door open and the interior (standard, non-deluxe) is all there, but ripped and beat down pretty badly. There are metal roofing and old tires and such inside so I couldn't really tell what, if anything was salvagable. Likely not. Oh - It apparently has been a shelter for birthing cats over the years as well.

The outside:
Every panel is rusted, dented badly or has holes in it. Except the driver door. It seems to be in one piece. All glass is in tact except the windshield. Looks like someone stabbed it with a stop sign. Hit in front and rear also so hood is buckled and rusted. Deck is dented with lock cylinder pried out.

The engine:
Shockingly it looks in tact and not bastardized. Seems pretty much factory to me...down to the air cleaner. It is a 351C 2V It looks as if the exhaust system and tranny (auto) are still on the car. I couldn't see under it so I can only assume. It hand turned easily so the engine is not seized.

The question:
Do I make her an offer? I asked her what she wanted for it and she said she didn't know and wanted me to throw her a number. She wants "the eyesore" off her property. I am already restoring one and this one seems to be one heck of an expensive project for a person wanting a real project.

My dilema:
I want to take this car out of the field because I can't stand to see an old classic sit and die this slow death. I can't use parts for my project because there arent really any good parts.

What should I do?
Old 11-28-2009, 11:46 PM
Nabster
3rd Gear Member

If the engine is good it might be worth pulling that from it. As it is now, a 72 will not in any way be worth the money to restore it, especially from that state you're describing. Maybe in 10-20 years, but not now. As it stands I'd hesitate to say more than a couple hundred for the car. If the engine is ok and only needs minor work, you could get a decent return on it since it's a Cleavland.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:52 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Paid $20 for my 71 and drove it 75 miles home back in 95. It depends on how bad its rusted, I doubt I will get my money back from the PoD, the 2v fastbacks just dont bring the big money like a 429 or BOSS 351 does. Still they are fun cars to drive and you can stuff any engine in them pretty easy, other than a 4.6/5.4. Have a resto and a drag car, make one the evil twin and use whatever parts are on it in good shape for the one you are doing now. Paint them the same and run similar wheels, but make one stupid fast.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:23 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Depends how bad its rusted out from sitting that long.Some cars are not worth saving unless you keep it a long time then you might get your money back.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:26 AM
tx-skydiver
1st Gear Member

I agree. Since I cannot see under the vehicle, it makes it extremely difficult to know exactly what condition it is in. It could be just body panels and regular rust, but who knows. Sitting on dirt for 27 years has got to do a number on the rust factor. Maybe I can go out with a farmers jack and get an idea of the underside.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:17 AM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

Offer her $100 and call it a day
Old 11-29-2009, 12:37 PM
tx-skydiver
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Waffles
Offer her $100 and call it a day
It not even worth that much. I went to see it again today and spent more time inspecting it. It has a 351 Windsor in it, not a Cleveland so someone along the way swapped out the engine. The only usable parts on this car is the air cleaner assembly and one tail light. Everything else is just beyond repair.

Its very sad to see a classic die like that.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:30 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Are you sure its beyond repair?

Old 11-29-2009, 02:29 PM
tx-skydiver
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by THUMPIN455
Are you sure its beyond repair?

Is it beyond repair? Probably not, but the original engine is gone, every panel is damaged, needs new shock tower, lots and lots of rust, etc...

For someone wanting a huge project to restore this car without original equipment, it is do-able. Personally, the one I am doing now will take years to complete and I have noplace to store this in the meantime for that length of time. I don't think for the money involved it is worth it as much as it pains me to see this car die.

I promised the better half that my next resto will be for her...a 1st generation stang.

If someone wants it, I can hook them up. The lady will likely take $100 for it. She wants it gone. I would hate to see it go to the crusher.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:34 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

maybe if i wasnt 2k miles away.. haha

Quick Reply: 72 Mach 1 - Is she worth saving?