Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

72 Mach 1 - Is she worth saving?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 02:34 PM
tx-skydiver
1st Gear Member

Old 11-29-2009, 02:49 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

fawk. you could save that.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:38 PM
Nabster
3rd Gear Member

Saveable: yes. Financially viable: no. It doesn't seem too bad, but the cost of replacing panels, trim bits and everything else would far exceed the final value of the car. Maybe if you held onto it for a decade or two you'd recover the costs. You probably ought to avoid that car unless it means a lot to you to save or you have a lot of money to burn. If you know someone looking for a project it might be a good start, but as is, I wouldn't touch it. Yes, it's a classic and yes I hate to see it happen, but you have to remember these were cheapish cars built in massive quantities.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:40 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

I'd like to have it for parts, some of its in better shape than the stuff I have already. NMy truck could use a 351W too. Problem is it is 2000 miles south of me, and its winter time up here.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:24 PM
tx-skydiver
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by THUMPIN455
I'd like to have it for parts, some of its in better shape than the stuff I have already. NMy truck could use a 351W too. Problem is it is 2000 miles south of me, and its winter time up here.
Let me know if interested. Take a few days off and come on down with a trailer.

I want the car to be saved. I just don't think its right for me right now to be the one to save it. I am in early stages of restoring a 72 Q-Code so it will be a long time before I could put a wrench to that one. Considering taking it and parking it with a tarp instead of allowing it to go to scrap. I just don't know.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:14 AM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

The snow season is here, if I came down it could be more than a month before I can get back home.

Back in 04 I drove from Charleston SC, to Marquette Michigan, to San Antonio so I could pick up my woman and go to an Air Force class at Lackland AFB. That was a LOOOOOOONG drive and I cant do that no more, besides my truck and trailer wont make it that far. If its still there in the spring, I might come pick it up. I go to Nebraska to get my kids for the summer and hang out with old friends, I could leave it there if I have a decent truck by then.

Since you are in Tx, you might not get the full meaning of snow in the U.P. We get lake effect snow, and we get lots of it with whiteouts that last for weeks. It is common to get so much snow in one 12 hour period that you cant tell anything was there. These two photos were taken one day apart and its the same spot.

Last edited by THUMPIN455; 11-30-2009 at 12:17 AM.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:48 AM
hiboostwoody
3rd Gear Member

^^^I'm a hardcore snowmobiler so THAT looks like heaven to me! Make me want to do this and this
Old 11-30-2009, 04:09 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Wait your in Texas i didn't think of that now.The rust on it might not be really that bad check the floor pan and frame rails if you can.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:06 AM
tx-skydiver
1st Gear Member

The car has been there for 27 years so likely it will be there next spring.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:07 AM
tx-skydiver
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
Wait your in Texas i didn't think of that now.The rust on it might not be really that bad check the floor pan and frame rails if you can.
Its been sitting in a field for 27 years. During that time it has sunk into the ground all the way down to the floor. I pulled up some carpet and checked and it is definitely rusted out. Frame rail I am not sure because I didnt' lift car.

Quick Reply: 72 Mach 1 - Is she worth saving?