Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Engine cranks no fire

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 12:10 PM
midtown mobile

Question Engine cranks no fire

Help I am trying to start up a 1966 Mustang Coupe, 289, 2bbl carb thats been sitting. Here's what ive done so far; drained the old (yellow) gas, flushed the lines, replaced, condensor, pointset (gap at .32 cause specs say .30 to .33) spark plugs, coil, starter solenoid, new battery, distributor cap & rotor, spark plug wires new leads on coil to dist and wiring from dashboard (ignition key) to coil. Have tested the + terminal to engine block for continuity and its good. Key off-nothing, key on-get signal. But no spark from coil to distributor, its a brand new coil and i even tested it for resistance.
Engine cranks just fine but it wont start. Where is my electrical break?
Old 12-01-2009, 04:09 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum. This is the general section, so you should probably post this in the technical classic section. A bunch more help will come from there. I would get a wiring diagram for the mustang and check that out. There used some links to wiring diagrams in the FAQ section.

To get you started, with a point type ignition the positive pole of the coil should be connected to the ignition solenoid (i or ignition terminal). This post will have full voltage while cranking (12v) and resistance voltage (9v) when running. The negative pole of the coil should be connected to the distributor (points breaker) and should ground out only when the distributor is requesting spark come out the high voltage side of the coil. Otherwise it is open. Think of the - as being a trigger.

If you have good voltage to the + post and have a good connection from the - post to the dizzy points, and you still are not getting spark out of the coil, the problem is probably in your dizzy.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by urban_cowboy; 12-01-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:59 PM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

I would look at the points gap. With the dist cap off, crank the motor and make sure that they open and close. I set them up to almost contact the "flat" of the dist cam, then bump the motor to make sure they open. If you can find a dwell meter to set them, it'll be more accurate than "gapping" them.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:34 AM
midtown mobile

Question reply to cranks but no fire

Thanks for that will try it but ah, ya lost me on the 'dizzy points'. . .
Old 12-05-2009, 11:36 AM
midtown mobile

Originally Posted by Stepman
I would look at the points gap. With the dist cap off, crank the motor and make sure that they open and close. I set them up to almost contact the "flat" of the dist cam, then bump the motor to make sure they open. If you can find a dwell meter to set them, it'll be more accurate than "gapping" them.
thanks stepman, im a nuts and bolts guy, electrical is ,,, chinese algebra to me.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:37 AM
midtown mobile

Originally Posted by urban_cowboy
Welcome to the forum. This is the general section, so you should probably post this in the technical classic section. A bunch more help will come from there. I would get a wiring diagram for the mustang and check that out. There used some links to wiring diagrams in the FAQ section.

To get you started, with a point type ignition the positive pole of the coil should be connected to the ignition solenoid (i or ignition terminal). This post will have full voltage while cranking (12v) and resistance voltage (9v) when running. The negative pole of the coil should be connected to the distributor (points breaker) and should ground out only when the distributor is requesting spark come out the high voltage side of the coil. Otherwise it is open. Think of the - as being a trigger.

If you have good voltage to the + post and have a good connection from the - post to the dizzy points, and you still are not getting spark out of the coil, the problem is probably in your dizzy.

Hope this helps.
PS - im digging the mustang, nice color. What she running? Stock 427-429?
Old 12-05-2009, 11:05 PM
hiboostwoody
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by midtown mobile
Thanks for that will try it but ah, ya lost me on the 'dizzy points'. . .
Dizzy is slang for distributor.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:23 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by midtown mobile
PS - im digging the mustang, nice color. What she running? Stock 427-429?
Thank you. No need for a big block to break parts. It was originally a 351W car, but now has a Dart Block 383@ stroker making about 475ft*lbs @ 4000 and 440hp @ 6000. With a any more torque, I would have to custom build a drive line and probably build a tube chassis to support it.