Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Bought a 67, boned myself

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 08:11 AM
TonyNDeb

Carlos, we usually don't have too much rust out here. I got caught up in the old Mustang vibe, which isn't a bad thing. Now I just have to bust some rust. I will come to CA when I buy my next Mercedes. This was a spontaneous buy, and one I may come to regret. But OTOH, it's paid for, and what is classic insurance going to cost me, $150 a year? Bah, I can live with that.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:59 AM
Oxnard Montalvo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TonyNDeb
Carlos, we usually don't have too much rust out here. I got caught up in the old Mustang vibe, which isn't a bad thing. Now I just have to bust some rust. I will come to CA when I buy my next Mercedes. This was a spontaneous buy, and one I may come to regret. But OTOH, it's paid for, and what is classic insurance going to cost me, $150 a year? Bah, I can live with that.
I've always found Virginia vehicles to be the cleanest on the East Coast. I believe it's not only because you don't get the salt in the winter, but also because the summers aren't as humid as the deep south. Twice I've flown to Virginia to buy a work truck and both were rust free. Too bad the Mustang is weak. It's probably from somewhere else.

It blows up here in New England, no matter how much you spend or how careful you are, if we have a bad winter or two or three in a row and you have to rack up some mileage, your DD is going to rust. It's not the cold that gets them, it's the thawing periods when the ice becomes water and mixes with the salt. Highway cars are the worst because the high speeds drive the salt water into every little nook and cranny. You can almost see the rust forming. Washing the car helps only until you hit the road again.
California cars are like the Holy Grail.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:23 PM
tarafied1
2nd Gear Member

Is this the beast you speak of?

It does look good on the outside!
My car was a complete rust bucket, not much of the original car left. I have replaced everything in front of the firewall (among other parts) and it wasn't too bad. Good luck.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:57 AM
TonyNDeb

Yep, that is the beast. I dont' think my garage is big enough for the job, so I may buy the parts and farm it out. Not only that, but this goes beyond my experience level. (but how else do we learn?) Trying to find a decent shop now, so I can get an idea of how many benjamins it's going to take. (and then add some of course).