Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Un-approving wife and project budget/phasing

Old 03-08-2010, 11:26 AM
Goosebrau

Default Un-approving wife and project budget/phasing

(I think this thread is more appropriate for the post that I put in Tech > Classics)

Because of my wife’s un-approval of restoring my 1965 convertible given to me by my parents that has been in the family since 1985, I need to figure out how to best spread out the project expense. I’ve got dozens of photos posted on my blog in preparation for shops to look over for ballpark estimating (if they’ll even do that). With those postings I've typed up everything that my dad and I have done to the care since it has been in our hands.

I know my wife won’t approve of the full restoration right now. I have an initial budget of ~6k (I have 13k saved up but she'll divorce me if I spent all of it on this).

I’d like to start with the underbody/floors/frame restoration. The floors, rockers, torque boxes, fire wall need redone. If a shop were to pull the panels and interior to fix/replace metal and primer/rust protect it, am I in the ballpark? I want to be sensitive to my wife’s wishes but at the same time I’ve wanted to restore this car forever. I’m 33 and I see why there aren’t a lot of people my age or younger driving around restored cars (when they don’t know how to do the work themselves). It is pricey and there is always something more important to pay for at the time.

I joined a Mustang club to learn more but there are mostly retired guys with understanding wives that allow them to spend money on their car or guys that know how to do the work themselves. The group meetings are mainly business related and discussions on cruises. Not much newby chat, so I felt like I'd try my luck and find some kind soul that would love to provide advice to me. I'd be willing to share my photos and car history. I don't really have any friends that are into Mustangs so I'm looking to the this group of people that love the car as much as I do.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:26 PM
jspagna1
3rd Gear Member

Well your car sounds like it needs more work than mine did, so it may be more dificult for you. At least you have your car fund started, so that is a plus. I assume that is money she knows about?
My plan was I started my car fund money and would put aside a little money every week till I knew i had enough money to do what I wanted. She was pretty much in the dark as to what I was doing.
Like telling her I was getting the motor in it freshened up and resealed, where the truth was I yanked the motor and bought a crate motor for it and had it shipped right to my cousins garage. I paid cash for everything i could and delt with local shops.
The car was at the garage for 3 months for the motor work and other things.
Then off to the body shop the car went and again had everything shipped to the body shop and paid the guys cash for all the paint & fiberglass work he did.
I did all this about 14 years ago now when I was 35. Not sure if I could pull it off again today? Good luck!
Old 03-08-2010, 12:26 PM
64.5stanger
2nd Gear Member

Welcome, you found the right place, there are many very knowledgeable members. I am in somewhat the same position, minus the 13k saved! My wife will let me start spending soon as i get a job (i thought my job was to learn every thing bout stangs as possible)
You could buy her a 13,000 dollar diamond ring, and start ur saving over. If you have any mechanical aptitude i'd suggest trying to learn n diy, and save the labor rates!
Old 03-08-2010, 01:00 PM
Goosebrau

She doesn't know how much money I have saved. I was thinking of getting the framework done before bringing it from Iowa to Wisconsin and into our garage. The car resides in Iowa right now. I could pay cash to the shop and she'd never know.

I would feel guilty if I went behind her back but it probably won't happen any other way. She hates the car and doesn't understand. Btw, I was joking about the divorce thing. Just using it loosely.

I would think there are tons of guys that want to fix their toys up or get a Mustang and the wife is 100% against it. Wish she dug it.

I noticed, even with dozens of detailed photos, shops don't like ballparking projects online. Sucks with the car 250 miles away to get a ballpark estimate.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:14 PM
Goosebrau

Being new to this site, where could I post photos and have people give me their thoughts/ballparks on frame/underbody/floor restoration?
Old 03-08-2010, 02:08 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Where do you live in Wisconsin? Im two or three hours north of Green Bay near Marquette. I tend to do things for trades rather than cash, parts, services, things of that nature and not always car stuff, I have traded for household items as well. What do you have to trade? Since you are close we might be able to work something out. You never know, you might do something in your normal job that I need.

My ex used to get irate over my cars, she would complain about how much money I spent on them, or the time I spent in the shop. The first couple years she wasnt like that, but she figured she could change me and it kicked in about 6 months after I bought my 70 GTO. Of course its a bit different with me and most people, they only have one car, or maybe only one project car.

I figure your wife will change her view a bit when the car is finished and she gets to ride around in it. Unless she is the type that thinks a minivan or anything new and shiny is a status symbol or something...
Old 03-08-2010, 02:09 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Oh and I am willing to teach too...
Old 03-08-2010, 05:04 PM
Goosebrau

I'm a graphic designer for an ad agency. I mainly design and build websites. I've actually ran into issues with trade out for Mustang service before. It is hard for people that don't do what you do actually quantify the work apples to apples.

I could design and build a website for somebody freelance and charge them $20,000 based on my rate (which may seem like smoke in mirrors to somebody else). Same goes for the Mustang service. I have no idea if the person truly had that much time in on the job and things could start falling apart or rusting 2 months down the road.

It gets messy and my uncle who's a lawyer advises not to go this route because it is all on the honor system.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:49 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

well us on this forum can pretty much vouch for Thumpin here, he's always the first one to raise his hand to help someone out if it is possible. While I have never met the guy, he seems like a nice person to do business with.

But I do see how it can be difficult to quantify work amounts from different types equally, thats how a lot of different partnerships, deals, and friendships are lost
Old 03-08-2010, 07:22 PM
64.5stanger
2nd Gear Member

First advance search threads by Thumpin in these forums and see work most wouldn't attempt. Next buy sheet metal and said 4x4, rent car trailer and road trip to thumpin's.
and if you wanted to learn it would be a great chance without having to buy thousands in tools.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Un-approving wife and project budget/phasing