Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

FRAME RUST

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 10:51 AM
69Volunteer
1st Gear Member

Default FRAME RUST

I posted on here several months ago about wanting to buy my aunt's 69 fastback.

Well it is getting closer to a reality. We talked last night and I got some more details. The car was parked 15 years ago (in a garage) and hasnt been started since--(so some engine issues that will probalby need to be addressed but that is for a later post).

My concern is that they parked it because they felt it was getting unsafe to drive and couldnt afford to fix the rust issues with what they said was "the A-Frame or front end"--not sure if they were referring to frame rails, or suspension components.

The car was driven in the snow for years and so I expect some rust issues. What I dont want to get into is a complete mess.

What I am looking for is some front suspension diagrams that someone could point me to or share with me so I could help pinpoint exactly where the issues are. I know there are some service manuals, etc that I plan to buy but wanted to wait to see what they have before I buy anything.

Any other trouble areas on the frame that I should look at before pulling the trigger?
Old 06-06-2010, 07:19 AM
ozarks06
2nd Gear Member

Generally, the front frame rails don't rust too badly. I would check around the lower areas of the shock towers. The suspension components usually don't rust away (though the rubber bushings may be shot). The major areas are floor pans right at the front - the vents leaked and the floors rusted. You are more likely to find rust in the rear frame rails or trunk pans. Other than that, the bodies all rusted - typical places: bottom of front fenders, quarter panels, etc.

You should also know that a lot of guys would kill (at least unpleasant rodents) to have a 69 fastback in any condition. If the price is good and you're not intimidated by the work (and have the tools/time/skills/money) to do it right, you'll probably end up with a car everyone will envy. It's very rare to find an old Mustang that doesn't have some rust issues, and most are pretty much eaten up, even if they look good from the outside.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:03 AM
Kdclem

Default Rust

I've been taking the rust out of my 70 mach 1 for 2 years. It's been a great project and it'll be fantastic when it's complete but, I would urge you to seek out someone with experience to look at the car and advise. Rust repair can be a huge undertaking especially if you want to do it right. Like the other fella said, some would sell off their wedding rings to have a fastback mustang. You can get aquanted with phosporphic acid and POR 15 and do all the work yourself. That's what the pro's use.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:27 PM
69FB
4th Gear Member

I would recommend taking someone that knows what to look for. Since I bought my fastback over two years ago it has been at a mechanics shop. The mechanic has become a good friend and although my fastback only had one or two "rusty" spots the mechanical items that have had to be fixed added up. Besides checking in the spots listed above make sure to check the cowl to see if it is not rusted through.

With the bad inspection report I got on my mustang I have spent more than I originally thought but since it is not a Mach 1 as it was sold to me I can now restomod it.

I will be posting more to my thread on my car after all these crazy classes are done for the summer. Going back to school and working full time is difficult no matter how many times I've done it before.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:52 AM
longlive289s
3rd Gear Member

if you can....take a digital camera and just start snappin pictures of the car. EVERYWHERE. dont be afraid to get deep in and dirty...wheel wells, lower parts of the engine bay, rear end....also bring a magnet with you just in case of bondo. Hell if she does mind too much put the carpet back a bit or at least check those floor pans. all the areas that are hard to get to, tight, small, cozy, easy to get to (rear quarters) is where rust loves.

post em here....god knows it's free advice and plenty of guys know just as much if not more than a pro shop would know here. at least point you in a direction of yay or nay