Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Shoving a new 5.0 in a classic?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 09:36 AM
ozarks06
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, wouldn't want no stinkin mod motor either. Ford's only made a million of them, and they only last 200K miles or so. Oh for the good old days when you could get 80K from a small block before it needed rebuilt.

Last edited by ozarks06; 06-17-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:07 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx65coupe
All I know is my 65 will always have a pushrod motor either the 302 it has now or maybe a 351 later. Mod motors are ok, but I don't like them in classics. Also, I heard a 2011 GT the other day and all I can say is the new 5.0 exhaust note sounds like crap. It sounds like a V6. I really think they should have left the 5.0 name alone and not used it on the new Stangs.
I would probably never have the money to even attempt this but it's just kicking around ideas from the technical mindset.

That's sad if that's the case for the new 5.0 exhaust, I have yet to hear it in person myself. Nothing really compares the the exhaust note of a good ole pushrod, especially a big block.

If you don't like the location of your shifter, why not get the retro looking shifter that looks like a 4 speed shifter for the T5. I have it and love it.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/product.asp?pn=MSL8
Yeah I got a similar shifter like that for mine, the name of the company just escapes me right now. I was mostly talking about moving the shifter back altogether, would make it a much smaller movement.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:54 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

The timing chain followers and tensioner last about 120k in a mod motor a lot of them have blow by problems,The plastic intakes crack and leak easy.04 back had problems blowing out spark plugs the dohc and 5.4 was the common ones.The egr system on them is good at acting up the mod motor has had the most recalls and service bulletins of any motor ford has made.The best one there is only two brand spark plugs you can run or it will throw a check engine light.Any engine can last 200k if taken care of but a lot people drive a car tell something breaks and wonders why its so much to fix it.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:27 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by remicks
I would probably never have the money to even attempt this but it's just kicking around ideas from the technical mindset.

That's sad if that's the case for the new 5.0 exhaust, I have yet to hear it in person myself. Nothing really compares the the exhaust note of a good ole pushrod, especially a big block.

Yeah I got a similar shifter like that for mine, the name of the company just escapes me right now. I was mostly talking about moving the shifter back altogether, would make it a much smaller movement.

I know what your saying about the shifter. I have seen that goofy remote shifter that mounts farther back and has an arm that connects to the shifter. I can't stand how that looks though. It looks like ****!

Your right about that, pushod motors sound the best, the bigger the better.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:28 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
The timing chain followers and tensioner last about 120k in a mod motor a lot of them have blow by problems,The plastic intakes crack and leak easy.04 back had problems blowing out spark plugs the dohc and 5.4 was the common ones.The egr system on them is good at acting up the mod motor has had the most recalls and service bulletins of any motor ford has made.The best one there is only two brand spark plugs you can run or it will throw a check engine light.Any engine can last 200k if taken care of but a lot people drive a car tell something breaks and wonders why its so much to fix it.
Alot of guys on the Ford Truck forums that I go on have had issues with the spark plugs. My friend has a 2nd gen Lightning and he just had one get ejected from the 5.4 a month ago.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:37 AM
remicks
4th Gear Member

I know what your saying about the shifter. I have seen that goofy remote shifter that mounts farther back and has an arm that connects to the shifter. I can't stand how that looks though. It looks like ****!

Your right about that, pushod motors sound the best, the bigger the better.
Yeah looks like **** is an understatement.
https://www.mustangsplus.com/tech/sp...ter/index.html
I would not pay about $200 for that.

Alot of guys on the Ford Truck forums that I go on have had issues with the spark plugs. My friend has a 2nd gen Lightning and he just had one get ejected from the 5.4 a month ago.
I guess I got lucky with my mod motors. My 99 F150 has had NGK Iridiums in it for about 30k miles and it's been going just fine. But on my Lightning I didn't attempt anything other than the motorcraft, didn't want to risk it.

Hopefully with the new 5.0 they fixed all that junk. I hated that plastic intake on the previous mod motors, I heard of so many problems with them.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:35 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

The ls1 has a plastic intake a lot of cars have changed to them.The problem is heat makes plastic age faster and will crack easier.The reason the spark plugs blow out was there was 3 threads in a alum head holding it in 04 up its 6 threads.The best looking long t5 shifter i know of is http://www.reenmachine.com/shop/prod...1&cat=0&page=1
Old 06-21-2010, 08:21 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by remicks
Yeah looks like **** is an understatement.
https://www.mustangsplus.com/tech/sp...ter/index.html
I would not pay about $200 for that.

I guess I got lucky with my mod motors. My 99 F150 has had NGK Iridiums in it for about 30k miles and it's been going just fine. But on my Lightning I didn't attempt anything other than the motorcraft, didn't want to risk it.

Hopefully with the new 5.0 they fixed all that junk. I hated that plastic intake on the previous mod motors, I heard of so many problems with them.
Its funny you mentioned NGK. My friend had them in his Lightning. Hmmm?

I told him, when he gets it fixed to put Motorcrafts back in.

I can't believe Ford thought it was a good idea to only have 3 threads holding the spark plugs in.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:24 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
The ls1 has a plastic intake a lot of cars have changed to them.The problem is heat makes plastic age faster and will crack easier.The reason the spark plugs blow out was there was 3 threads in a alum head holding it in 04 up its 6 threads.The best looking long t5 shifter i know of is http://www.reenmachine.com/shop/prod...1&cat=0&page=1
Those are far better than that other remote mounted one, but I don't think they really go with the interior since they are flat or squared. I like the 4 speed looking shifter the best.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:37 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

That shifter handle looks like a old pistol grip the mopars used or a old hurst shifter.