Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

what should i expect to pay for a paint job??

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 05:11 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Good thing threads are free....

Old 08-29-2010, 12:47 PM
phish
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JMD
Good thing threads are free....

stupid comment
Old 08-31-2010, 05:37 AM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by phish
stupid comment
It's typically called humor
Old 09-03-2010, 02:35 PM
sdviking

I'm having the sons 66 Coupe painted at this time, overall body in good shape, the doors needed some aligning and the passenger rear 1/4 needed the bottom of the quarter cut out and replaced but other than than its a sand and paint job. Cost estimate was 40 hours labor and $700 in paint and supplyies = $2600. Hope it looks great.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:40 PM
phish
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sdviking
I'm having the sons 66 Coupe painted at this time, overall body in good shape, the doors needed some aligning and the passenger rear 1/4 needed the bottom of the quarter cut out and replaced but other than than its a sand and paint job. Cost estimate was 40 hours labor and $700 in paint and supplyies = $2600. Hope it looks great.
Thank you for the answer and reply......now that wasnt hard now was it........but for some it is like pulling out teeth, or for some of these rednecks like their last tooth
Old 09-06-2010, 09:51 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Thank you for the answer and reply......now that wasnt hard now was it........but for some it is like pulling out teeth, or for some of these rednecks like their last tooth
Redneck>Phish, What else can I add?

Rednecks 4

Phish 0
Attached Thumbnails what should i expect to pay for a paint job??-fish.jpg   what should i expect to pay for a paint job??-fish-2.jpg   what should i expect to pay for a paint job??-fish-3.jpg  

Last edited by JMD; 09-06-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:55 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

The price is always different at every body shop like i have said get some estimates to see what your going to spend.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:28 AM
fast65
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
The price is always different at every body shop like i have said get some estimates to see what your going to spend.
That seems like it would be too much work for the OP, just sayin...
Old 09-07-2010, 08:22 AM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

So what exactly did you find out. He paid $700 in paint, I spent $2000 in paint. I could have spent a lot more with HOK. Without knowing what you're trying to do all the answers an invalid. Maybe you just got a number you like so you think you got the answer.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:41 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr_velocity
So what exactly did you find out. He paid $700 in paint, I spent $2000 in paint. I could have spent a lot more with HOCK. Without knowing what you're trying to do all the answers an invalid. Maybe you just got a number you like so you think you got the answer.
That is a no sh!tter, I initially spent $3,000 on paint and material for my coupe, (DuPont Premiere). I imagine I have spent another $1,000 since, and for sure I will spend another $1,000 before I finish, all on "liquid stuff", metal was more, lets not even talk about my labor.

It took me a while to admit it, but better paint and materials makes for a better finish, it makes a difference.

Will these materials buy me a "really good paint job"? In some folks eyes yes no doubt, in other peoples eyes not so much.

Back in the late 90s, I had put a shop put a $3,000 paint job (and final blocking) on top of my friends finish work, which was on top of a lot of the "metal work" I and a shop did in the 80s.

The paint job was damn good for what I paid for it they did a great job. The finish work was pretty good with a few exceptions, and the metal work was below standard. (My work sucked, but not as bad as the shop (a different one) I paid good money to repair the fenders, supposedly "the best in town".

There is a lot that goes into a "good" paint job, the condition of the "canvas" is foremost, putting a good paint job on a crap car would be similar to Rembrandt painting the Mona Lisa on a canvas he had "fixed" with masking tape.

When the OP brought up his "rust spots" to me this was a red flag, but like I have said, if the shop just slaps them full of bondo, they won't effect the cost of the paint job.

Last edited by JMD; 09-07-2010 at 10:12 AM.

Quick Reply: what should i expect to pay for a paint job??