Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Started taking some mechanics classes

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 07:29 AM
69FB
4th Gear Member

Default Started taking some mechanics classes

I know I mentioned this time last year I was planning to take some mechanics classes since the company I work for now pays for anything.

Yesterday a Snap-on rep came and talked to the class and as a student with this junior college in these classes I can get the tools for about 50% off as long as I am a student.

Any suggestions on what tools I should buy?

I have a 192 piece craftsman socket and wrench set but wanted to see what specialty tools I'll need. Taking an engine building class and a fundamentals of auto mechanics class. Like I said in the past I'm starting from the ground and working up.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:59 AM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Ratchets, start with the 1/4" drive then the 3/8s. Smoothest ratcheting mechanism you'll ever use. I also have their swivel sockets, a few line wrenches and the smaller 1/2 drive sockets so when you're torquing down rod bolts you won't be cracking them. 5/16 3/8 drive socket for the header bolts on my bb chevy's. I use 9/16ths a lot, especially on the boat, so I have 1 of everything in 9/16ths snap-on.

I have a huge craftsman box loaded with craftsman tools. When I break a tool more than twice I replace it with snap-on. There are also a few specialty tools that you can only find in snap-on.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:04 AM
69FB
4th Gear Member

Thanks Velocity. I'll will be assessing things tonight after I turn in my application for the Physical Therapy Program I am applying to.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:59 AM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

The 50% off is great and should bring their stuff down to a fairly standard price. Snap-On tools are notoriously over priced however you are getting great tools.. most of the time. I have a few items but for the most part I buy either Husky or Craftsmen tools. Easy, quick and headache free replacements.

Sockets, ratchets, wrenches, extensions.. you can never have enough! Any garage that doesn't have at least 3 full sets of these isn't complete and even than you'll wish you had another set from time to time. You'll want 1 set of oversized 1" through 2" sockets and wrenches as well so don't forget them.
Extensions.. every time you hit a hardware store you should pickup one new extension. I've seen times where we've needed 3+ feet of 1/4" extensions! (Example: back seat opening to truck welded closed and when we adjust the trunk latch after paint it jammed and wouldn't open. Had to use 3+ feet of extensions down through a speaker hole to loosen the latch and open the trunk.) Fun stuff like this happens and it's these times when you're glad you have them.

The list of items you'd want could go on forever really. First things though are hand tools.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:23 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Ok, I admit it, I am too damn cheap to buy Snap On tools, just looking at the prices makes my head hurt, even 50% off their retail hurts me.

I didn't want to go Craftsman because anyone can "borrow" a tool and claim it for their own, (because EVERYONE has some), so I have been buying S-K tools, so far so good.

I did buy a set of 5 small Snap-On wrenches, I gave them to my son so I wouldn't get "Snap-On fever", they are nice.

Minimum tools for me would be something like....

4 sets of wrenches

Std 1/4" to 1 5/8"
Metric 4mm to really big

Std 1/4" to 1 1/8"
Metric 4mm to 27

6 sets of sockets, (3 if metric and std in same box)

1/4", 3/8", 1/2"

Highly recommend a 3/4" drive socket set also.

Two big sets of screw drivers,

4 adjustable wrenches, small to real big.

Pry bars

Chisel's and punches

Full set of Allen and torex wrenches & sockets of the same

And some other stuff I cant think of.

IMO, it is MORE important to be able to afford ENOUGH of the tools you will need than to concentrate too strongly on a particular brand. Having the right tools makes everything go more smoothly.

I am not saying "buy crap tools" but I am saying to value shop, and I am also saying that it makes no sense to spend $20,000 on tools unless a person is at a point in their life where they are ready to be a HUGE ******* about their tools, meaning they are ready to put them away and lock them up every day, and IF someone manages to talk you into loaning them tools, you give them HELL about getting them back right now.

No use spending big money on tools for the folks who steal them.

Last edited by JMD; 09-01-2010 at 08:42 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:35 AM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JMD
I did buy a set of 5 small Snap-On wrenches, I gave them to my son so I wouldn't get "Snap-On fever", they are nice.
Oh the dealers know how to give you the fever with easy credit etc. I think of it more like a drug addiction. I work in software, I had the snap-on guy making a stop to our building once a week. I've been good and only buying what I really needed in snap-on.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:37 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

well great thing is in Germany good tools are plenty. I know about 3 companies who will give lifetime warranty to their tools (and it is great stuff). different story in the states. You'll have to ask experienced mechanics what they use if it is not snap-on. i guess most in the states do if they have plenty of money. not my case either.

I believe everyone starting in mechanics will loose the tools sooner or later. norrow and forget. so don't get an expensive set for starters I'd say.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:15 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kalli
well great thing is in Germany good tools are plenty. I know about 3 companies who will give lifetime warranty to their tools (and it is great stuff). different story in the states. You'll have to ask experienced mechanics what they use if it is not snap-on. i guess most in the states do if they have plenty of money. not my case either.

I believe everyone starting in mechanics will loose the tools sooner or later. norrow and forget. so don't get an expensive set for starters I'd say.
There are plenty of good tool brands here in the states, but in the hierarchy of professional mechanics Snap-On is considered top dog followed by Mac, Matco, maybe Proto, maybe Blackhawk, etc.

There are other Lifetime warranted tools out there available from several big retail stores that are good, Craftsman, Kobalt, Husky, etc. There are actually many tools still produced domestically.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:47 AM
GT350R Klone
2nd Gear Member

Lets face it, if it is a hobby you will not be using specialty tools very frequently, which makes it tough to pay top $ for a tool that you just won't use that much. That being said, I do have a few Snap-on pieces in my war chest....TORQUE DRIVERS. You need a precision tool there and one that will stay calibrated for a long time. I didn't cut corners on my torque drivers and if you ever snap off a pressure plate bolt or intake bolt because your torque driver is over driving the bolt, you will wish you had a good tool there.

p.s. congrats on taking the classes, you will learn a ton.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:02 PM
69FB
4th Gear Member

Thanks guys for all the feedback. While I was at my mechanics shop getting a part fixed on my brother's Shelby I asked him what he thought. He was under the same consensus. Buy craftsman for most of the tools and get a good snap on torque wrench and a few other tools that would make a difference. I think I'm going to get a ratchet from Snap on b/c I like the feel of it and how comfortable it is.

Quick Reply: Started taking some mechanics classes