Here are the seats that came out of the car. One thing that was odd that I never noticed was the material is different on the front seats to the rear bench. The new covers we ordered will make them all the same.
So I decided to dig into the rear seats first last night. I started with the upper part of the bench.
Started by removing the cover/padding and inspecting everything. The spring assembly was is decent shape with some rust from moisture.
I found 2 places where the main frame had broken the welds. So I cleaned them and welded it back together and had to do some work to make it all straight but turned out pretty good.
Once done I scraped what rust I could off the frame and then painted it to not only protect it but hold what rust was there to the frame/keep it from flaking off. I also figured it could help with killing any odors (old smells).
The padding was in great shape still and I spayed it down to kill any odors as well. This old stuff is certainly allot different than what we use in the industry these days.
The next part made me VERY nervouse. I am by no means an upolstery guy and I had second thoughts about doing the seats. But I know my dad would be happier if I did them vs. somebody else. So I dug in and I think I did a faily good job on my first seat.
So I got the cover off the bottom bench seat and thats where I made it last night.