Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Prodject---My dads Pony

Old 03-05-2011, 11:15 AM
crashfab
2nd Gear Member

The old ducting for the defrost were also bad (just wire strands left,lol). So my dad got new ones. Now these are nice..

The fitment was perfect. I got the stereo wired (just have to finish a ground and run the rear speaker wires) also and the front speaker mounted. I just gotta double check the passenger side to make sure it clears the wiper arm.

Now that pesky windshield can defrost allot easier,lol.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:28 AM
crashfab
2nd Gear Member

Still pushing to get the dash stuff done.

*note to self--install glove box latch before you install liner,lol. Ya I did it after and it made for a little more work but I got it..

But I got the new liner installed. Its a tight fit slithering it up behind the dash but got it. Also the gove box lamp now works too (missing the pop in white cover for the lamp hole).

If you remember from WAY back in the thread I had no idea the hazard switch belonged in the glove box and was baffled as to what this switch all taped up was in it. I also found the bracket in a box of odds and ends that my dad had. So of course I had to use it and it looks pretty good. I also ran the wire for the MP3 played into the glove box.

I cleaned up the original glove box and polished up the chrome portion of it--turned out pretty decent and I think I got it adjusted right. Hope dad likes it.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:34 AM
crashfab
2nd Gear Member

Got the wiring all secured on the passenger side of the dash and threw in the new passenger door jamb switch.

For the first time in how long---the under dash lamps are fully operational.

I even got the painted dash cover thrown in.

Thats s far as I got by midnight. Will be back into it sunday afternoon and hope to have the dash done shortly after..
Old 03-08-2011, 12:22 AM
crashfab
2nd Gear Member

So I am cruising right along..

I got the wiring all finish up in the dash and fired off the radio and got music in the car (front speakers only right now) but I was happy to get that all done.

The rear speakers went nicely. I made a template and just notched the rear deck on each side of the stock location. Speakers went right in..

Old 03-08-2011, 12:33 AM
crashfab
2nd Gear Member

So the next thing I wanted to tackle was the doors and windows. That took a LONG time to get everything done.

I started with getting the new handles put together and installed. I polished the lock cylinders since I was re using them and they are in perfect shape. I had to rework the lock rods though because they were not removed when don put the guts in the doors and they kinda got bent up--no biggie though and made them perfect. The doors open and close like they never have that I can remember.

After that I went to the windows. With the rear wing window you have to start with the forward window and go to the wing since one affects the other. It wasn't that bad but I had to remove the wing windows again so I had to start fresh with the adjustments. The hardest part was getting the wing window to not catch the upper edge of the main window as it opened. But I got good fitment but only time will tell once I water test everything.

This is why I had to remove the wind windows. The plate that the window slides on--of course totally covers the holes. But I got them both on---lookin good I think.

One thing I did get thrown a curve ball on. I went to throw the window felts for the front windows and damn---with the clips on the felts you cannot put them in with the glass there. So I found if you remove the bump for when the window is fully down the glass will drop just low enough to get them in. The hard part was removing the bump(wedge type retainer) without damaging it. Luckily I had 2 test doors to practice on.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:38 AM
crashfab
2nd Gear Member

So since the outside/glass is done--time to dig out the new door panels. These went right on with ease. But the hard part was poking holes in it for the new arm rest's. But the doors look GREAT!

This part I was nervous about--cutting a hole in a brand new panel that had to perfectly match the hole in the door. But I was able to get it right on and got the remote mirror adjuster mounted up.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:44 AM
crashfab
2nd Gear Member

So I started working with the front to rear wiring. Well the crap was really pissing me off--so I cut it all off and ran new wires,lol. Actually what happened last night I plugged the tail lamps in and one didn't work. They use a goofy connector and the wire was all old and very still with the insulation cracking in a few spots. So thats when I decided to just lop it off and start at the drivers side.

Some call it a mess--I call it nothing but fun.....

I am going to try a source new connectors for the tail lamps tommorow. I also have to figure out what was there for a plate lamp since it never had one but it was wired for one.

And I also got the rear done except the bumper and I have to jack the rear up so I can drill larger holes for the bigger grommets on the new backup lamps.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:18 AM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

It's really starting to come along. Looking great!!! You sure have made a lot of progress in a short period of time. Keep it up.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:37 AM
crashfab
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by scootchu
It's really starting to come along. Looking great!!! You sure have made a lot of progress in a short period of time. Keep it up.
Thanks--I am trying......
Old 03-12-2011, 01:42 AM
crashfab
2nd Gear Member

I have been spending every second I can out in the shop...

So I found one of the tail lamp connectors bad (center terminal pulled out) so I can't finish the back of the car. But I was able to do the wiring for the speakers and gas tank sensor.

This is where I diverted from the stock location for the fuel sender. I origionally ran along the front side of the tank. I chose to run it across and down. I felt it would be less intrusive to getting bumped/hit when using the trunk.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Prodject---My dads Pony