Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Prodject---My dads Pony

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 03:10 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I'm sorry to hear that.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:32 AM
65springtime
1st Gear Member

Sorry to hear about your Dad Mike. I know how it is. Remember I lost my Dad to cancer not too long ago. It is so hard watching them get worse. Glad to hear he is enjoying his car. Your Dad buying new parts for the Mustang is a good thing. I only wish you and your family all the best. Again, I really do appreciate you doing my Voltage Regulator.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:57 AM
crashfab
2nd Gear Member

So we had a family get together at my sisters house on sunday to celebrate her birthday. It was a good day I brought my toy, the kids quads and we shot guns.... Good day.

I was helping my mom dig up some ferns when she we had a talk. I knew it was bad when my mom started to tear up before anything was said.

She basicly said the new chemo treatment was again doing nerve damage. This I could tell watching my dad shoot off his .22 earlier. She simply said if it gets any worse he is going to stop the chemo. he doesn't want to be stuck in a wheel chair and wants to enjoy the time he has. He already sleeps allot as is and my dad has always been active and I know it really bugs him. he has his beautiful car sitting out in front of the house and he has no energy to even go clean it or anything of that nature.

He also recently started going thru all his pictures and scanning them to digital format as I think he getting everything in order. This truely saddens me and I still have to talk with my kids but we will wait for a while till we do.

Something else that just broke my heart. I was talking with my dad and he simply said "if anything happens to me son I just want you to know that the car will be yours to stay in the family". I didn't know what to say at that point as I was simply speachless. Of course that will mean wheneve Don wants to use it he will be fully welcome to it.

On a positive note the new dash bezel/cover came in so as soon as he is feeling up to it me and him are going to spend some time on his baby..
Old 08-08-2011, 12:32 AM
crashfab
2nd Gear Member

So my dad is still doing his chemo and started his 18th--yes 18th round last weds. He has been super excited to hit every car show he can and finally got a 3rd place for his class--all he could talk about...

So this morning he came over to hang for a while and work on his car. We had 2 projects to do but only was able to do one due to more parts needed for the second.

But he rolled up with a smile as it was a nice sunny day and he simply LOVES to drive the car. Today my mom had said its crazy how much that car has helped his quality of life. When he's beat down due to the chemo (usually about 10 days after his treatment) he will slowly wander out to his car and do something to it.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:38 AM
crashfab
2nd Gear Member

So the 2 tasks to do was the cluster and the bushings for the clutch/brake(I think they call it the equalizer bar). Unfortunately we needed the cast aluminum end pieces so we didn't touch that today.

But his cluster bezel was looking REALLY faded/old with everything else around it all shiney. So he ordered a new one and the plastic lense.

So I carefully pulled the cluster out again,lol. Thats ok I did not mind one single bit as I got a chair setup for dad so he could sit back and enjoy the time.

So ya--now it really looks bad compared to the new one.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:44 AM
crashfab
2nd Gear Member

So as I was putting it back in I kept telling my dad I wish I would have used a better/stronger paint on the dash. But my dad kept saying it looks just fine and is 1000% better than it was--but for me its not good enough,lol. I told him I would not mind this winter stripping it down again and using some good quality single stage enamel on it that will hold up to typical use. My dad just simply said--it looks fine son,lol.

One thing that drove my parents nuts--no damn cup holders (its one of those things that once you have--you can't go without. heck I am the same way). But he found one that was just perfect. The color and stitch was a perfact match to the new interior.

So we looked up some needed part numbers--dad said goodbye and hopped in his baby and drove off with a smile.... Was a good day....
Old 08-08-2011, 01:23 AM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

I can only imagine how much that car means to him on a day to day basis. You've done a great work and you're still at it. It's a true inspiration. I've promised myself to restore a '68 Pontiac GTO for my dad. He had a brand new one back when he was 18.

Keep up the great work!
Old 08-08-2011, 09:45 PM
lucasp
2nd Gear Member

Nice job!
Old 08-09-2011, 12:52 AM
Cherrybomber

woohoo! congrats on the 2nd place. glad to hear your dad's stoked on that stang. I've lost count of how many rounds my dad is on right now. tell him im loving his arm rest. it doesnt bump into his elbow when he's shifting?
Old 08-12-2011, 01:17 AM
White05GT
3rd Gear Member

Glad to hear he's enjoying the car so much and that you get to spend time with him working on it. Lost my dad 3 years ago and still miss him every day.

Prayers go out to you all.

Quick Reply: Prodject---My dads Pony