Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Comp XE262

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 06:59 PM
voodoojl

Default Comp XE262

Greeting, This is my first post here.

I did some searching on the net regarding Comp XE cams. I found numerous post Ford, Chev, and Mopar regarding valve train noise caused by the fast ramps and the valves slamming shut. So is anyone running the XE262 in a 289 / 302 and what do you think about the cam, powerband, noise.

Now, the rest of the story. The It's going in a 289, GT40 heads, 9.5 compression, Edelbrock performer intake, 600 cfm Holley and headers. It's for a 65 coupe with an automatic and I'd like to keep a stock stall converter. It's my father's car so it won't be raced mostly a car show cruiser and the the occasional freeway on-ramp blast.

Thanks in advance

Jim L
Old 10-23-2010, 10:54 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

check with compcams for which cam wuild suit best. I'd nearly say go for the XE256H
Old 10-23-2010, 11:34 AM
GT350R Klone
2nd Gear Member

I had an XE cam in my 351W. I believe it was the XE274. It had a very lopey idle. It was a very high RPM cam; the power came on like gang busters. Performance wise it was a great cam. BUT, I would never buy another XE cam again. The noise drove me crazy!

It sounds like there is something wrong, but there really isn't, it is just noisey. I spent a lot of time adjusting valves, changing rockers, to rid myself of the noise...it wasn't going away ever. Some motors don't have a problem, others do...mine did and it was quite frustrating.

So, great performing cam...yes, but I would avoid just on the chance you could have this issue.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:21 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

On the bigger XE cams, you absolutely have to have the right valve springs. Old, worn out valve springs won't cut it.

I ran an XE268H for a while and I loved it. It rev'd cleanly to 6k. Too big for your application, though.

The smaller XE cams are a little less finicky, but I'd still recommend matching valve springs. The advantage of the XE cams is that you get a wider power band; more power up top without sacrificing low end torque.

That XE256H cam would probably be ok, although I can't get onto their site right now to look at the cam specs.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:04 PM
Jonk67
3rd Gear Member

I have an XE262 in my motor, unfortuantely it's still on the stand so I can't comment on noise. I listened to a friends XE268 and found it too lumpy for my DD/fun use of my car with A/C, PB, PS, etc. He had ~12-14" of vacuum which is getting borderline for the extras I have >PB, A/C, etc. I researched and found that the XE262 was their highest lift cam topping out just at .500" of lift, while still retaining ~17" of vacuum for PB especially.

I downloaded their camquest program and plugged in all my numbers to see what cams they suggested then played with 'what if' I changed my rear gears, etc. to see what it did to cam selection. After picking the 262 I went to my engine builder and discussed my build, he ended up with 3 cam suggestions, the 262 being one so I went with it.
We'll see how I like it some time soon I hope.
Jon
Old 10-24-2010, 11:13 AM
GT350R Klone
2nd Gear Member

I had the valve springs heigth, strength verified by the machine shop that rebuilt the motor. My noise is interesting and frustrating. On the outside of the car you could rev the motor and it sounds tight and no signs of the noise.

However, inside the cab it was present. Not over the top, what is wrong with my motor sound, but rather, that does not sound right. I really believe the sound were sound waves that are traveling through the mechanics of the car, driven by the sharp ramp rates of the cam. I talked with Comp more than once and they said, Yea, it is a noisey cam.

To some, I don't think the noise would bother them. To me and perhaps my (over?) sensitivety for things working correctly, it was not acceptable. Again, it was a great performing cam.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:31 PM
voodoojl

Default XE cam noise

From what I read on other forums, the higher the lift the louder the noise. One guy said it was a tapping sound like marbles were were loose in his motor. Not quite as noisy as a solid cam but close. The noise is the valves slamming closed. Several users also reported tearing down their top ends several times before figuring out it was the cam lobe profile.

That being said, the XE cams users report that they perform as advertised providing a good power band and good intake vacuum.

Thanks for you responses.

Jim L
Old 10-24-2010, 01:09 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I don't think it's nearly as loud as some people make it seem. I have Rhoads lifters in my motor now (along with a Magnum 280H cam) and they really are loud. Not solid lifter loud, but close enough that I get asked if I have solid lifters fairly often.

When I was running the XE268, there was a little noise, but it wasn't nearly as noisy as the Rhoads lifters, and definitely not as loud as solid lifters.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:19 PM
JH_67
1st Gear Member

This is such good information! I am also very interested in the xe256h cam since reading Kalli’s & Starfury’s wonderful detailed description that was posted back in June 2008 “XE256H on stock engine and heads”. I also have a 1967 289 (not hipo) coupe with stock heads and automatic transmission. I have a 600cfm carb and performer intake.
My question is mostly related to the results of the xe256h cam. First how did the xe256h cam work with your stock heads? You installed the Kit that included the springs and all (you said you switched out the timing chain though for a Cloyes double roller which I will do also). Were you able to use the existing stock rocker arms with the new springs in the kit? How would you describe the idle feel? And since this thread is about noise; how was the sound? Was it a good sound for the car, did it have a classic 60’s muscle sound?
I appreciate any additional info that you could provide. Would you do anything in addition? Thanks!
Old 11-18-2010, 07:31 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Starfury
I don't think it's nearly as loud as some people make it seem.
IMO these cams are not that loud, yea there is some valvetrain noise but Jim's Mustang is running a taller cam than that, (.600 lift), it is no where near unbearable and imo it is not even loud enough to be remotely annoying.

I have to think if any cam sounds like a "box of marbles" someone might have some geometry issues.

Last edited by JMD; 11-18-2010 at 08:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Comp XE262