Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

SN71 project

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 08:56 PM
Obsidian71
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rols574
I actually wanted to do the IRS on my 67 as well and was saving up for the brackets. can you share the template or a picture of your brackets? both?

Thanks
I haven't had a chance to take any other close ups of mine just yet because the back of my car is buried in boxes from Christmas still, but here are some pics that I took off the DVS website a few years back that I can't find anywhere on the site now.
Hope this helps. The biggest difference with these pics and what I did is that these are bolted on brackets and I welded mine in, but they really are a pretty simple set up that lines up damn close to the early model rails.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:27 AM
Obsidian71
2nd Gear Member

Ok...so it's been a while...a really long while! But I'm finally back on this thing. I got side-tracked building a new deck on my house and a killer treehouse for my kids, which then spiralled into a bunch of other summer backyard makeover stuff! Last week I started back on the car, it's back on the rotisserie and I finished up a few welds on the bottom I couldn't easily get to before, and started with some new, cleaner panels at the top of the inner aprons. I still have to grind all this crap, I plan on getting some of that done this weekend as well as finishing up a small section on each front rail to reinforce the front bumper mounts as a lot of the original structure was cut out and the new rails are much higher than the originals.

More to come...sooner this time!
Old 10-14-2011, 07:34 AM
Obsidian71
2nd Gear Member

OK...a little over a month since my last post and I've been working on the car a lot more lately. I have the entire engine bay all cleaned up, welds ground...what a PITA!!! straightened, stripped, and sanded. Next step is to metal convert it with phosphoric acid, and prime it, then it's on to the bottom of the floor pans and subframe connectors.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:19 AM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Lookin good there. Your progress wants me to get home and get back to work on my '68! haha
Old 10-17-2011, 08:42 PM
Obsidian71
2nd Gear Member

Got the engine bay in primer today...finally!

Old 10-19-2011, 01:43 AM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

I look forward to having my engine bay look like that. Your's looks clean enough to eat off of!

Keep up the great work!
Old 11-04-2011, 10:41 PM
Obsidian71
2nd Gear Member

Ok, in the past few weeks I got most of the bottom of the car stripped, and when I went to strip the inside of the floors and firewall to prime, I found some rot around the cowl intakes. So I had to cut out some sections and make patches. Got them all set and I'm going to glue them in with 3M's 8116 panel bonding adhesive. I'm going to wait to glue them in until spring at this point though because I want to prime and seam seal inside the cowl before I glue them in and it's been too cold here in CT lately to prime in my garage. In the meantime I think I'm going to move on to some fun stuff and start shaving my drip rails

Old 11-05-2011, 08:16 AM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

It looks awesomeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Nice work. Keep it up! I know it's getting cold up there, such a Mustang buzz kill.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:35 AM
Obsidian71
2nd Gear Member

I'll just keep putting on more layers to keep myself warm. Unfortunately, I won't be able to keep the metal warm enough for paint products to do their thing correctly. I've got PLENTY of stuff to keep me busy on it through the winter months!
Old 12-13-2011, 07:36 AM
Obsidian71
2nd Gear Member

Ok, I've got the drip rails shaved which was a bit more of a process than I thought it'd be! I wrote up a quick tutorial on how I did it and posted it on my website here: http://callahandesigns.weebly.com/sh...rip-rails.html
and here's some pics of the finished product:

Last night I finished stripping the inside of the floor pans and started scraping the undercoating from the rear wheelhouses...

Quick Reply: SN71 project