Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Questions on buying a classic Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 07:30 PM
bmwnrp1

Default Questions on buying a classic Mustang

Greetings - Last of my kids wants a 60's Classic Car for his first car - (Thank God). Since Mustangs are being suggested for our price range - What can I realistically get for 10K. He would need it for a daily driver to HS and College. Parents want safety with 3-point seat belts, front disc brakes and suggest A/C since we are in Florida. He (Kid) wants 300+ HP and a 4-speed stick and being fast . We have looked at about 50 so far. The rust buckets, and repair nightmares are under 5K. It is hit and miss with the 5-15K cars, usually no A/C, no documentation on maintenance and repair, stick cars are engined up a bit and usually beat and hard to find. The complete restorations are over 20K+.
The question is is this doable? I can turn a wrench, no body or paint beyond attachments. Thoughts and comments are appreciated. Thanks - Chris
Old 11-08-2010, 12:25 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

You should be able to find a nice 65-68 Mustang coupe for 10k or less. It may not be perfect, but will still be a clean car.

I don't know where your finding coupes for 20k. Thats way overpriced unless its a real GT or K code etc.

If its going to be a daily driver, I suggest an overdrive transmisson.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:12 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

If you want a daily driver i would find a car that needs work gut it fully and start over.Reason i say is that is you never really know whats been replaced and when.When you daily drive a older car that's sat a long time and not had much done things start breaking.Also the mustang didn't get a collapsible steering column tell late 67 so anything before that will need it changed.And yes forget a 4 speed a t5 is a 5 speed and a overdrive.ac don't matter there is 3 companies that sell bolt in kits.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:22 AM
bmwnrp1

Thanks for the replies so far - I've been looking at the newspapers, craigslist and e-bay. Best leads have been word of mouth. Any other suggestions?
Old 11-08-2010, 01:17 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

I myself am a Senior in High School and I'm building a mustang on my own coin. I'm hoping to restore mine fully for under $10,000, and that shouldn't be too hard for me. Luckily, I love buying, selling, and trading, so I can sell parts I don't need and buy what I do very efficiently. That skill is helping me greatly.

I suggest, like others, you find a car that needs work but isn't too far gone. One that somebody else bought to restore but flaked out. You'll probably find one that has some rust, may need some metal work, needs paint, but has lots of extra (or maybe new) parts with it. Then you can go on your way piecing things together.
However, with your requirements; "front disc brakes, A/C, 300+ HP, 4-speed", it will be a squeeze to keep it under $10,000. It is certainly possible though, so don't be discouraged.
A 1965-1968 mustang coupe will be your best choice, they can be found for the best price compared to other years. I would think your son would prefer a '67 or '68.

I suggest you make a deal with your son.
Maybe if he helps build the car, he can have it when he's old enough. It will also be a great father son project.

My dad made a deal with me. He paid for tools and I pay for everything for the car. I got lucky because the tools for a full restoration have been more expensive than he thought.
However, he's fine with paying for them because I promised to build him a 1968 gto with those tools when I finish my mustang.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:40 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

My advice is to keep your eyes peeled on Ebay and Craigslist until one comes around that is already fixed up. Trust me, you will spend much more doing it yourself than buying from somebody's fire/divorce/lost job sale.

FWIW, you can add AC with a new aftermarket kit starting in the $700± range. Paint and body is where you can drop some real coin on these cars.

Good luck!
Old 11-09-2010, 10:34 AM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

For $10K you should be able to find a nice coupe that has been taken care of. You may need to throw in a couple more $$ to get a hold of the super clean one. You have to remember, these are cars that have been around 45 years, so there will be flaws unless you opt for the restored one, that mentioned already, has been taken apart and fully restored, but comes with a fat price tag.

You may need to look out of your area to expand your options and prices. The prices can vary depending of the area of the country you're in. Ebay, craigslist, local ads, are about your best bet. Keep looking, you'll find what you're looking for. Just be patient. I think you are on the right track. Maybe you'll find that desperate seller.......Good luck.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:48 PM
69FB
4th Gear Member

Check on local mustang clubs or shops that specialize in restoration of classic cars specifically mustangs. The shop where my car is they find cars all the time. In many cases those that work in the business have people showing up all the time trying to sell to them.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:05 PM
bmwnrp1

Thanks All - Great group. Called 6 restoration places in area - No Mustangs currently - A lot of other stuff - high dollar. One recommended the Zephyrhill auction This week or the Turkey Trot in Daytona during Thanksgiving. If anybody knows anybody in the Tampabay area in need of selling for terrible reasons (i'm kidding ) let me know! Chris
Old 11-11-2010, 12:57 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Keep your eyes open everywhere a lot of people are having hard times and selling there toys off cheap.A month ago here i found a 67 fastback needed floor pans for 5k couple of years ago that car would have sold for 8k up.

Quick Reply: Questions on buying a classic Mustang