Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

sheetmetal source

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 03:10 PM
docjones

Default sheetmetal source

I am looking for a supplier who provides good quality quarterpanels for a 66 coupe. I was hoping to find either ford tooling or OEM. I am also needing the best source for chrome.
thanks
Old 12-05-2010, 07:29 PM
spidertoy

I have heard that the best place to get quarter panels from is "Bob Drake", not sure about the chrome though.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:29 PM
GT350R Klone
2nd Gear Member

Aftermarket panels are close but are typically thinner and will take some work to make right. I have bought some and simply returned them because they were unusable. I have found Dynacorn to be the best non OEM tooling supplier.

This still doesn't answer your question, however, the premium paid for an OEM tooled part ($250+ for a fender), I found rust free original parts from someone parting a car out for $50-$100 for a straight fender. Bumpers can be straightened and rechromed for $200-$250.

I probably still didn't answer your question, however sources for OEM tooled Mustang panels are only a google search away.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:08 AM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

I tried a couple of different places but ended up buying from Glazier Nolan only because their shop is using the parts they sell so they're going to carry the parts that need the least amount of effort to make them work. Some parts fit well, some are terrible. I've tried to stick with parts that came out of original ford tooling but even that is not guarantee that they will fit perfectly.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:49 AM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

I think most of the aftermarket suppliers of new replacement sheetmetal panels get their stuff from one or two sources, from Taiwan. I've only ever seen Ford Original Tooling for fenders, not quarterpanels. Even so, how do you know it's original tooling and not some knockoff with the price jacked up claiming oem? Dynacorn is probably the most "heard" about good supplier. There are new parts becoming available almost daily for these classics though.

Usually, the quarterpanels are the easier pieces to get to fit right, imo, vs fenders, doors, etc.

I would say the same also applies for the chrome, most is pretty good. I think what it comes down to, is to buy from wherever and hopes it fit good. I have heard people claim that Glazier Nolan has good stuff. I personally have never dealt with them.

I would always look into getting original parts first from a junkyard, craigslist, ebay, an old guy with a bunch of mustang parts, etc. And look into getting your old parts re-chromed. Nothing will fit like the original.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:17 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Repo bumpers are cheap. I'm comfortable using them since they're somewhat adjustable (bolt on), I would just go with Repo.

As for Quarters, Dynacorn is definitely the best non-OEM tooling source.