Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Buying a msuatng at a young age

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 09:22 AM
'66StangWannabe
1st Gear Member

Default Buying a mustang at a young age

I know I could search, but I don't want to troll through hours of unrelated posts, so I'll just ask.

How old were most of you when you got your first mustang? I'm looking around and starting to get frustrated. I want to buy one soon (got into mustangs in middle school, 18 and out of high school now) before they shoot up in value because they're not making any more of the classics. I've saved probably 80% of all my earnings since I got my first job at 13 but I don't want to give it all away on a car. I want to spend around $8,000-$11,000 because I don't have the tools, time, or storage to buy a car and restore it. I need something that will be a good summer cruiser/turn key car when I buy it. I realize these cars are 40 some years old and WILL need work, but I don't have the time or funds to be restoring a car at this age. Something like this is exactly what I want, but my job is slow during the winter months so I can't get it now.... http://www.davesclassicauto.com/details.php?id=461

I don't really want the monthly loan payments, but this is one of those things I see myself having for the rest of my life. What would anyone else do?

Last edited by '66StangWannabe; 03-11-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:24 AM
SilverStallion05
2nd Gear Member

I got a 2005 at 17. There is a rebuilt, good condition, running, '69 by me the guy will sell for $5000. Old ones are out there, you just have to find them. Other ones are every where.

Keep in mind insurance at a young age.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:51 AM
'66StangWannabe
1st Gear Member

[QUOTE=SilverStallion05;7455965]I got a 2005 at 17. There is a rebuilt, good condition, running, '69 by me the guy will sell for $5000. Old ones are out there, you just have to find them. Other ones are every where.

Keep in mind insurance at a young age.[/QUO

Yeah that's the thing...there's gonna be insurance, rent for $225/mo starting in may, food, etc... It seems like I won't have money to do anything if I go through with this.

Last edited by '66StangWannabe; 03-11-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:17 AM
SilverStallion05
2nd Gear Member

Then you decide.... Get the Stang now and figure it out afterwards, or take care of the other stuff and wish you had the Stang.

Rent is more important though. Lol
Old 03-11-2011, 10:31 AM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

I got mine almost exactly a year ago. I was 17 and probably didn't make the best choice for a first restoration candidate but I'm still happy that I've got my 'stang.
About a year later and I'd say I'm about half way through the restoration.

I suggest you take care of rent and settling down first, then look at a stang. Also, if you want to be economical consider a 6 cylinder mustang. They've got the classy looks and you'll get 20+ MPG, some people get 25+ with a T5 trans.

There's a lot to look for when you get a stang. Do you want V8 or I6?
Old 03-11-2011, 11:01 AM
'66StangWannabe
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by hightower2011
I got mine almost exactly a year ago. I was 17 and probably didn't make the best choice for a first restoration candidate but I'm still happy that I've got my 'stang.
About a year later and I'd say I'm about half way through the restoration.

I suggest you take care of rent and settling down first, then look at a stang. Also, if you want to be economical consider a 6 cylinder mustang. They've got the classy looks and you'll get 20+ MPG, some people get 25+ with a T5 trans.

There's a lot to look for when you get a stang. Do you want V8 or I6?
I've done A LOT of research and yeah, rent and **** is gonna come first. Engine doesn't matter.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:10 AM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

I'm 45 and I still don't have one, just spend all my time working on one

Don't be in a rush and think the values are going to keep going up, there were millions of mustangs made and with the current economy the prices have dropped and we're not going to recover anytime soon. Keep an eye on the PIIGS. Classic cars are a toy and should treated as such, if you don't have the spare cash hang on until you do. Take care of the necessities first, then play.

Spoken like a true old fart
Old 03-11-2011, 11:19 AM
'66StangWannabe
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
I'm 45 and I still don't have one, just spend all my time working on one

Don't be in a rush and think the values are going to keep going up, there were millions of mustangs made and with the current economy the prices have dropped and we're not going to recover anytime soon. Keep an eye on the PIIGS. Classic cars are a toy and should treated as such, if you don't have the spare cash hang on until you do. Take care of the necessities first, then play.

Spoken like a true old fart

Don't worry, I'm one of the few from my generation that practices financial responsibility .
Old 03-11-2011, 12:00 PM
blue 67 coupe
2nd Gear Member

Got my 67 at age 14 in 2006, happened accidently pretty much. But since then its been my DD for a little over 3 years then my sisters 98 mustang got wrecked and i'm almost done fixing it to be my daily.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:46 PM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Here comes the old fart again.

Take the money, start a business or get an education. Sure it will suck now but in 10 - 15 years you can either buy a perfect car or build one yourself without having to compromise on any of it. I hate to be a buzz kill, but the best advice I could give anyone your age is to invest that money into your future and not a car.

I wish I would have taken that advice when my father offered it but I didn't. I hate to say he was right, but he was right. Once I learned the lesson, life has been very good.

As to the car, if you find a car that has been properly restored, the key here is properly, it will be very reliable. Even though they may be 40 years old there is absolutely no reason the car would not be 100% reliable. If you can't afford to buy a car like that then you either need to be able to afford someone else working on it or have the knowledge, tools and a place to work on it yourself. Personally, I love restoring old cars I just hate repairing them.

Quick Reply: Buying a msuatng at a young age