Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Front end toooooo low

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 07:28 PM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

Hmmmmmm now I am starting to wonder. Are all years 65-70 the same front coils? Perhaps I got the wrong ones when I picked them up.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:01 AM
Rick@NPD

Jonk67, the unloaded-height of the spring means very little all by itself. If you'll notice, the wire diameter of the 560# is thicker, and the coils are closer together...

Bottom-line, it's a stiffer spring, that has far less travel engineered into it than the stock spring. The LOADED height is most-likely not that much lower because your original springs were likely CLAPPED-OUT to begin with. You're not going to realize the full 1" drop, when your tired original springs are already sagging lower than they sat when new. When springs advertise a specified "drop", that measurement is taken from stock ride-height, not 45-year-old worn-out ride height. That's why it is common for people to install lowering springs and say "my car didn't go any lower". Using your old springs as the benchmark is the flawed logic in the equation.

Hope this helps!!

Rick
NPD
Old 05-05-2011, 08:07 AM
Rick@NPD

Originally Posted by scootchu
Hmmmmmm now I am starting to wonder. Are all years 65-70 the same front coils?
No. In the realm of aftermarket performance/lowering springs, typically 65-66 is one part #, and 67-70 is another.

In the realm of O.E. application springs, it's more complicated (check the Eaton charts), but suffice it to say that 65-66 coils don't cross-over to 67-up.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:38 AM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by scootchu
LOL, that's great after I installed the leaf springs from the same package.
Rather than drop the rear, aren't there two versions of the spring insulators that are different thickness? Maybe you can use the thicker one...
Old 05-05-2011, 10:23 AM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

I emailed Dan from Glazier Nolan and sent him before and after pics. I purchased the same performance kit from them for my 66 and lost no height at all, in fact I may have gained a little. I didn't do the Shelby drop on that install.
The difference between the before and after is immense and not what I was looking for. I was looking to drop the front, but not this much.

BEFORE

AFTER
Old 05-05-2011, 10:38 AM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rick@NPD
No. In the realm of aftermarket performance/lowering springs, typically 65-66 is one part #, and 67-70 is another.

In the realm of O.E. application springs, it's more complicated (check the Eaton charts), but suffice it to say that 65-66 coils don't cross-over to 67-up.
Thanks, now could there have been a mix up and would 66 springs actually fit, meaning are they the same diameter. I have this weird feeling that they aren't right.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:21 AM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Yeah I'm sure they'll help you out.
If the kit lowered the rear as well, I think it'd look fine, but something definitely should be done to the front, unless you wanna mess with the rear
Old 05-05-2011, 11:24 AM
Ryan™
Banned

Originally Posted by Gun Jam
guess im not alone on this one
agreed, just lower the rear is it should be good
Old 05-05-2011, 12:50 PM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

I am getting frustrated. I emailed Dan last night and his reply was that these springs were stock replacements. That's fine, but I had ordered HD Springs, whatever that means, from their performance handling package. They are not drop springs, at least not according to him in his reply. I am just stumped.
What springs do I have in there??? That's all I want to know and then go from there.
I never mentioned that when I picked up the rear leaf springs I got the last pair and when I went to install them they were in fact Cougar springs. I had to drive back up to exchange them. That was a 5 hour round trip and to Dan's credit he offered parts equal to the tank of gas it cost.

Sorry for the rant. It's not my intention to bash G/N, I am just frustrated. I ordered a Hi-Po engine pivot and received the standard one just the other day. $9 in shipping for a $15 part.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:16 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

problem here is that the car is very low in the front unsettled. in all cases i came across the front lowers another good bit after a short drive, which easily can become too low

but why don't you post in the technical thread. i think most of us forget about this general jibba jabba section. only saw the thread today

Quick Reply: Front end toooooo low