Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.
View Poll Results: What path to take...
Buy another Mustang (66 289 3 spd)
15.79%
Wheels and Tires for the 65 in my sig
57.89%
Nothing, you have your first kid on the way
26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

What to do... Buy another Mustang or get new wheels for my 65

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 03:45 AM
PReal
5th Gear Member

Default What to do... Buy another Mustang or get new wheels for my 65

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am expecting my first child in the upcoming months and am trying to get any big purchases out of the way for the next few months. Here is the problem I am facing.

1. A distant family member has a 66 mustang 289 3spd that they will sell me for around $500-$600. I have not seen pictures but speaking to my brother in law it is a little rough. A tree may have dropped on it at one point but the damage was slight enough that they were fixing it with bondo. He saw my car before the body work was done and said they were in pretty similar condition. The car ran 7 years ago but has been sitting every since my brother in law had to sell it to his uncle because he could no longer afford trying to fix it.

2. My mustang is driveable and is pretty much awesome in my opinion. The only thing I dilike about my 65 is the wheels. They look really 80's and I am thinking some 17x8 torque thrust wheels with 225's in front and 245's out back would look really nice. The wheels and tires will cost me a total of around $1200. If I get the wheels and tires I could always but the other car later but I hear my relative is a little sick of the car sitting at his house.

What should I do.

1. Buy the other mustang and start working on it.

2. Get wheels and tires for the 65 and brace for the upcoming child.

It is a girl btw and her name will be Emma Ruth!!!!

Parker
Old 05-25-2011, 05:50 AM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

I would just buy the rims.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:45 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

i would keep the wheels and put the money into a college savings account for the child............
Old 05-25-2011, 12:14 PM
wumarshall82
2nd Gear Member

If #3 and money is a true concern, then you answered your own question.

If not, then I would go with the TT2s. New shoes alway make a car look a little more BA.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:03 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

wheels will totally change the appearance of your car.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:32 PM
eleanor_350

I say go for the wheels and enjoy the car you have. Once your baby girl gets here, you won't believe how little free time you have. I know I sure didn't grasp that concept until my first one came along. I'm glad my car is essentially done and now I just upgrade things as I can. What once was a weekend project on my car now takes several weeks at an hour or two here and there after the kids are in bed. I'd get really discouraged trying to totally rebuild a car at that rate.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:42 PM
Gen5_40
1st Gear Member

I'd keep the 65. It already works well and when your daughter arrives you will have surprisingly little time to be working on a "project". If you have the money now for the wheels...put it away and forget about it for a while. You may come across a great deal on the wheels you want if your patient. Also you never know when something "more important" might come up and you will be glad you had the money in reserve. Good luck and Congrats!
Old 05-25-2011, 03:00 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Use the money you would have spent on either to save the baby's umbilical cord blood. It's almost $2k and there is a small annual fee, but if she ever needs serious medical attention, it could be a lifesaver.

We did this when my 5 year old was born, thankfully we haven't needed it.

BTW, I think your car looks great as is, those are the wheels I wanted in the 70's for my first car, but couldn't afford them then.

I definitely agree that you will be "time challenged" with a little one in the house, so another project may not be the best idea right now. Especially if your family member can tolerate it sitting around for a bit longer.

Best of luck and congratulations!!!
Old 05-25-2011, 03:27 PM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

Wheels would be my vote. Having 3 kids I can attest to not only time is limited, but extra money is also. You have a window after they reach a certain age that again closes as they go to college.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:39 PM
PReal
5th Gear Member

I sure didnt think there would be such a consensus....

I've been leaning towards the wheels as well. They would make the ride look amazing.

The problem I have with my car is there isn't a lot of big work to do. I like to unwind by working on the car a little. I'm pretty sure this time is going to stop through when the baby arrives.

Quick Reply: What to do... Buy another Mustang or get new wheels for my 65