Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Classic Mustangs (Tech) > Classic Mustang General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 07-25-2011, 10:34 PM   #1
spooky21

Vehicle: 1965
Default Tracing the history of my car

Hi,

I am new to the forum. I own a 64 1/2 170c.i. 'vert and would really like to find out about the previous life. I know it was a DSO 13 car (New York). I bought it in Florida and I know the previous owner. I also know the name of the owner before him but that is where the trail runs cold.

does anyone know how I would go about finding the previous owners?

Regards
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

1964 1/2 170c.i. convertible Wimbledon White

In Sydney, Australia
spooky21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:01 PM   #2
lucasp
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1965 Coupe 302

Welcome to the forum. I would try the DMV maybe they could help you out by running the VIN numbers. Just a thought.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:51 AM   #3
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Most dmv won't give out anything because of privacy and anything old is on paper and not in the computers so its lost in time.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:47 AM   #4
rtintwo
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1970 Mach 1

You will run into privacy act issues trying to get the government to give you any previous owner information. Your best bet would be to talk with the previous owners and tracing back through them.

I have never run a carfax before maybe somebody could answer this, does a carfax list dealerships where a car was sold in the past?
rtintwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:49 AM   #5
rtintwo
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1970 Mach 1

Also have you tried googling any of the info you do have like owners name or VIN. Never know it just might pop something up.
rtintwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:37 PM   #6
200ci66
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 1966 Mustang Coupe

Yes, once you learn the dso and everything from the previous owner, everything is lost. If the previous owner knew the one before him, that'd give you a lot more information.

Something a little odd about my car: The door tag on the door obviously isn't the original tag for the car, and the tag on the fender was made by someone to match the one on the door (doesn't even look original) so it's not uncommon to have a car with 2 VIN numbers stamped on it. After 45 years of wrecks, restorations, ect finding out the history of these cars is very hard to do. I think about mine everyday, Who originally bought it? What kind of memories did they make with the car? Where has my car been?

The only thing you can do is talk to the previous owners.

Or you could do what I did: Take apart the interior to find a speeding ticket and a pay stub from 20 years ago. I have one of the previous owners' name, location, workplace, and social security number... Note to self, if you're going to sell the car, make sure all your information is OUT OF IT! haha
Clifford 6=8 Headers
Holley 5200 Carb
Flowmaster 40s
Pertronix Ignitor
40,000 Volt Flamethrower Coil
Rear Air Shocks
3.25 rear end
200ci66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:31 PM   #7
spooky21

Vehicle: 1965

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I have spoken to the previous owner and he had the name and address of the owner before him but I have run into a dead-end.
I will try and google the previous owners and vin and see if I can get somewhere that way.

1964 1/2 170c.i. convertible Wimbledon White

In Sydney, Australia
spooky21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:28 AM   #8
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

The oldest cars a carfax will do is somewhere in the 1980s so that's not going to work.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:28 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
12, 64, car, carfax, cars, check, ford, history, mustang, original, owner, tracing, tracking, york